Everybody Loves A Critic

After seeing the stars, I offered to drive Charlie home; as I parked on her driveway, I could hear her sigh as if she was somehow frustrated with her extraordinary life.  

''Thanks for showing me the view,'' I found myself saying out loud with my hands on the sterling wheel 

''No problem'' Charlie replied as she unbuckled her seatbelt ''Gald to be at service'' 

''So want to go over lines again? Tomorrow?'' I asked 

''Sure I'll text you the time'' Charlie replied as she pulled out her cell phone ''Put down your number'' 

By the next day, I arrived on set and saw everybody running in different directions and talking in hushed tones as they prepared for the next scene. I stood on the side, waiting for Dave, the director, to give me any tasks to work on today. In the spirit of boredom, I pulled out my phone and just scrolled through the internet, just when I decided to read this latest movie review. I felt a heavy tap on my shoulder. I turned around seeing Dani, Charlie's friend. With her hands on her hip. And looking at me with an angry expression on her face. 

''No phones on the set'' she replied ''Can't risk having anything leak out''  

I sighed ''Funny. I should be telling you the same thing.'' 

Dani rolled her eyes.''The director wouldn't like having your phone out.''  

''I'm pretty sure he'll live,'' I said, looking at the phone. Reading the review. Hoping she'll get the hint and finally leave. After a few minutes, I heard her sigh and left, probably telling security about me . I heard a loud alarm as everybody stood aside and got quiet as Charlie and Dylan arrived on set to do the scene. 

''I can't believe you,'' Charlie shouted in the middle of the street, gathering everybody's attention. Dylan pulled her aside in a corner. ''Look, Bethany, just let me explain,'' Dylan said 

''No,'' Bethany said. ''You had a chance to explain, but as usual, you just let things be. And never tell me what's going on.''  

''But what their saying is a lie,'' Dylan said. ''You and I both know that,''  his eyes pleading for her trust as he leaned closer to her. ''Beth, you know me. You'll know I never do this to you.''He whispered in her ear  ''To us'' he held her hands and put them close to his heart 

''Close up,'' I whispered to the camera operators, who just looked at Dave for approval. Dave gives them a thumbs-up as they zoom in on the shot.   

Charlie looked at Dylan in astonishment and with sadness ''Seth, I-'' she started yet looked away. ''Beth, please don't do this,'' Dylan pleaded. Charlie let out a heavy sigh and softly let go of Dylan's hand. ''Seth, I no longer trust you,'' she said, looking at his pleading eyes ''Not after this. We can't go back after this,'' She said, giving him a small simile. 

''Beth,'' Dylan said, reaching out for Charlie, yet she dodged out of his way. ''I got to go,'' she said  

''Beth,'' Dylan called out, ''I got to go'' Charlie raised her voice louder as she crossed and walked down the street. The cameras and the crew quickly rushed to the street and her movement as she walked fast. Her blonde curls danced wildly through the wind. But she stopped seeing a couple making out by their car. She flashed a sad simile as she pulled out her car keys and unlocked the car. She got in and was about to start the car when the tears began to fall and run down her cheeks. And as much as Charlie tries to wipe them away, they keep falling, which makes the tears fall even faster. 

''Cut!'' Dave shouted as the cameras and crew put down their equipment. Dave walked to Charlie and tapped on the car window, giving her a thumbs up, then jogged to where Dylan was and gave him a fist pump. I walked off the set, becoming fascinated when I glanced at their buffet table, which was not only filled with a lot of food. But have a few catering spots as well. While waiting, I ordered a turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread with salt and vinegar chips. I saw Charlie walking her way over to me. 

''So'' she said after placing her order ''How did you like the scene?'' 

''It was fine,'' I replied, taking my sandwich and chips and walking to a nearby table. ''Really? Just fine? That's it?'' Charlie said, sitting next to me 

''What do you want from me?'' I said, taking a bite from my sandwich 

''To be honest and tell me what you truly think of it,'' Charlie said, taking a bite of her sandwich. 

I looked at Charlie, who narrowed her eyes as she dared me to lie about the scene. Yet I glanced at her hands which were shaking anxiously, which made me believe that, unlike any other actor/actress, she is very serious about this. About her career. Her performance in this movie. And she wants my opinion on it? 

I sighed, thinking very profoundly about what about to say. ''It's good,'' I mumbled 

''What was that?'' Charlie said, leaning closer 

''I said it's good'' I said clearer and louder 

''Finally'' Charlie said with a faint simile on her face ''The great critic approves'' she laughs