Hanging Out

.: Hiccup :.

"So," Hiccup began as he sat across from you at one of the spacious tables in the Great Hall, "Where to begin?"

"Where to begin, indeed." Another viking you had come to know as Fishlegs said in response, making his way over to the table and sitting next to the auburn haired boy. He placed something down on the table - a rather large, ancient looking tome with what appeared to be some sort of dragon emblem on the front. Before you could analyze it further he flipped it open and it revealed slightly tattered pages, covered with writings and drawings of dragons, many of which you'd never seen before. "There's so many options."

"I'm noticing that." You said with a slight chuckle, glancing up at Hiccup for some moral support. The possibilities were already a little overwhelming, but if anyone could point you in the right direction it would be him.

He seemed to pick up on your silent plea for help. "I have a few ideas."

"You do?" You and Fishlegs asked simultaneously. Not that either of you were surprised. Ideas were kind of his thing after all.

"Yeah. I mean. You clearly get along with Toothless pretty well. We haven't found any other Night Furies out there but... Maybe another Strike Class dragon could be a fit."

"Strike Class." You repeated to yourself, as if you hoped saying it out loud would somehow help you figure out exactly what he was talking about. "What kinds would those be?"

"Things like Skrills, Triple Strykes, Threadtails, Wooly Howls..." Fishlegs could rattle off the names by memory. Maybe someday you'd be able to get to that point, but in the meantime you were still struggling to remember the names of all the species you'd met since arriving.

"Strike Class dragons are smart, stealthy, and they can be very dangerous. They're a bit of a struggle to train, but once you manage they're one of the best." Hiccup explained, earning a pout from his friend.

"That's your opinion. Personally, I have a soft spot for the Boulder Class."

"What other classes are there?"

"Stoker, Tracker, Sharp, Tidal, and Mystery."

"... Should I be taking notes?"

.: Astrid :.

Astrid was adamant about getting you a dragon. The only issue was that Hiccup was off helping his father with some issues involving Mulch and Bucket and some Terrible Terrors. You were both a little foggy on the specifics, and Astrid insisted it was better to just not ask and move on. However it did leave the two of you with quite a bit of time to kill. The viking girl had what she called the "perfect idea", and the next thing you knew you were face to face with her dragon.

"Stormfly, right?" You asked, trying to ignore the fact that the beast seemed incredibly intrigued by you and kept tilting its head and looking at you from just about every angle it could manage. Like it could tell you weren't from around there.

"Yep." Astrid sounded like a proud mother, stroking the Nadder's side. "So, you ever fly before?"

"Do you mean like... Have I been the one flying the dragon or have I ever been flying in general? Because the answer to both is no."

"Well. Guess we're gonna change that."

"Wait what?"

"You heard me." She smiled. "Here's what I'm gonna have you do..." She left the dragon's side and came over to yours, and held out her arm, open palm extended towards the dragon. "Just do this..." Stormfly gently placed her snout against her human's hand. "And she'll do that. That's just a typical way of showing that you trust her, and she trusts you."