Introducing: Mala

A/N: Here's another updated to-do list, in order: Ryker, Krogan, Johann, Atali, and then last but not least, Drago. After that, we're gonna get some updates for everyone. (Also I'm lowkey tempted to take a few of these and just turn them into full fics like I'm trying to do with Viggo tbh. Or at least use the starting point as inspiration. Thoughts?)

.: How You Met :.

Trade was finally being directly established between Caldera Cay and Berk. It was bad news for traders like Johann, who seemed to thrive off of the isolationist nature of most of the archipelago. But it was great news for Berk, which was always a little short on friends and allies before Hiccup started training dragons. It was almost like taming flying, fire breathing beasts made people want to get on your good side.

You were called on as hired help almost the very second the okay to send a merchant there was established. As one of the most competent auxiliary riders, you weren't too thrown off by the request. But you were reluctant – your job was to stay and protect Berk, and occasionally run off with the actual dragon riders when they needed an extra pair of hands. A week away meant that Gustav and Spitelout would be in charge of keeping people safe, and the thought of that alone was enough to make your blood run cold.

But somewhere between the discussion of payment and the incessant nagging, you caved. You couldn't pinpoint the moment, but it happened, and that's exactly what put you escorting a ship full of cargo of debatable value.

- - -

The journey to Caldera Cay was slow. Agonizingly slow.

You were instructed to bring your dragon along for safety's sake, and stay in cloud cover as much as possible. You were to be a watchful eye, and only interfere if there was any trouble. But a Flame Whipper is faster than your average ship, and most of your trip was spent flying, then circling back around or just hovering in place waiting for the ship to catch up.

They could have just brought several dragons with goods carried on their backs, but no. Nothing could ever be easy.

- - -

You arrived early in the day, about a week after you'd set out, to very little fanfare. There were three people stationed at the docks, two of which gave the distinct impression they'd rather be anywhere else. The third was a woman, tall and fair haired, with elegant armor and the undeniable air of authority. She had to be the queen you'd been told about. Mala, was it?

"Morning." She began as you dismounted your dragon, and the merchant, Elis, stepped onto the dock. "I trust your trip was safe?"

"As it could be." Elis began. "There was a little trouble with a scauldron on the way over, but we got out of that alright."

"And what about the scauldron?"

"Don't worry," you spoke up, already aware of the tribe's reverence for dragons. "I made sure I didn't hurt it. I scared it a bit, just to make sure Elis made it here intact, but the dragon's totally unscathed."

"I'm glad to hear that." The woman gave a gentle smile – a strange contrast with the rest of her. "It seems everyone from Berk has such respect for dragons. It's good to hear the two of you are living up to the expectations."

"Those expectations, yes. Any others you might have for us? Maybe. I don't wanna get your hopes up." You giggled, scratching your dragon beneath his chin.

"Don't mind that one." Elis interjected, shooting you an all too familiar glare. "We'll certainly live up to your expectations. If not, you get a money back guarantee, and you won't have to hear from us again."