First Time Flying

.: Hiccup :.

"So, where are we headed exactly?" You asked, watching Hiccup adjust Toothless's saddle. The dragon purred happily as his trainer fiddled with the straps.

"I told you. We are going to go get you a dragon."

"Yeah, I think I remember you saying something about that, like, five times." You smirked. "Got anything more specific for me?"

"Afraid not." He didn't seem to terribly bothered by that, despite the sentiment.

"And why's that?"

"We decided to keep it a secret."

"Plus, Hiccup can't remember the name of the island." Ruffnut interjected, earning a disgruntled sigh from the auburn haired boy.

"Yeah, I uh. I suppose there's that too."

- - -

"It's gonna be okay, bud."

"Are you talking to me, or Toothless?" You chuckled. Sitting atop a dragon was a surreal feeling, and you were beginning to wonder if this was really a good idea. You'd never flown before, for any length of time, and now you were going to be soaring over the seemingly endless expanses of sea surrounding the archipelago for well over an hour.

"Depends, which would make you feel more comfortable?" Hiccup replied with a laugh. "If you're having any second thoughts, let me know."

"Nah, I think I'm good."

"Alright. In that case, hold on tight."

If you did have any second thoughts, they were quickly ushered out of your head by movement beneath you. The Night Fury bolted forward, your arms reached out to grab Hiccup's shoulders as you suppressed a startled scream. The dragon's wings spread, and before you could even process exactly what happened you were being lifted off the ground. You clamped your eyes shut, trying not to think about the fact that the safety of solid earth was getting father and farther away from you with every passing second.

Every fiber of your being was begging you to be afraid - but it was mind over matter, and you were flying with the most well known and experienced dragon rider anyone had ever heard of. The more you thought about it, you didn't really have any reason to be nervous.

Your eyes fluttered open as your hands kept a firm grip on Hiccup. The wind was tearing through your hair, and in the distance you could see where the sky met the ocean. Beneath you, the waves rolled freely, and you could see the shadows of fish and dragons alike thriving in the seas.

"What do you think?" Hiccup asked, shouting ever so slightly to be heard over the roaring wind.

"This..." A giggle was welling up in your chest. "This is incredible!"

.: Astrid :.

Under any other circumstance, you would have been nervous sitting on the back of a Deadly Nadder. But Astrid had this certain confidence about her that put you at ease. Compared to the other vikings, she seemed, well, incredibly competent. Even Hiccup seemed to be more-or-less winging it half the time.

But Astrid? She was a different story.

"Okay, so," she began, shifting her weight in the saddle, "I should warn you before we take off. Stormfly is pretty fast. I'll try and start her off easy, but if we start picking up too much speed just uh-"

"Scream?"

"Sure, screaming works." Astrid gave a faint giggle. "And there's one other thing. I need you to run your hands along the bottom of the saddle back there, just behind me."