i n q u i r i e s

Your POV

I woke up in a pitch black room. No candle illuminated the room, making it hard for me to see. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I could see the outline of the hearth and the couch straight across from me. I figured I was in the Hamiltons living room, considering the events of last night. I couldn't tell what time it was, but I needed to get home before George did.

I decided to get up and look for a candle. But instead of looking, I found a candle set with a box of matches next to it on the windowsill just above the couch I had slept on. I slid a match across the grate of the box, igniting it. I lit the candle and raised it to light up the room. I slowly walked up the staircase to wake Eliza and tell her that I was departing. I passed by each of the open rooms, seeing a child in each of them, sleeping and dreaming soundly. As I went past the third room, I noticed the flickering of a candle coming from a small room. I peeked in to see Mr. Hamilton staring at a letter between his fingertips. I slowly opened the door, hoping that I would not alarm him. He turned his head, noticing my presence.

"(Y/n), you are supposed to be resting. Do you need anything?" Mr. Hamilton said, concerned.

"I'm doing fine, but I do need to get home. I was wondering if you would accompany me? I would normally walk myself home but who knows what dangerous things going on at this hour." I said, nervous that he would reject my request.

"I'm glad you're feeling better but I insist that you stay and rest. The more rest the better with your condition," He offered. I shook my head.

"I must reject your notion, sir, for I would like to get home before my brother does. I would hate for him to worry again," I said. Mr. Hamilton pursed his lips and furrowed his brows, considering it.

"Was it him who slapped you?" He asked. I kept my composure, refusing to cry again. I sighed, looking down in shame.

"Yes," I suddenly looked up at him. "But it was my fault. I talked back to him, actually, yelled back at him. I even cursed him, basically calling him a bastard," I said looking down in guilt and shame.

He looked at me, surprised as the evil words rolled off my tongue. I was on the verge tears, yet I still kept my composure. "He rarely lashes out like that so I'll be okay." I gave Mr. Hamilton a reassuring smile, while he gave me a skeptical look. After about a minute of considering, Mr. Hamilton obliged. I let out I silent sigh of relief as he got from his desk. As he stood up, I could see he was still in his attire from the day before.

He put on his shoes, while I went to go reach for my cloak. I found it on the coat rack by the front door. I stood the front door, waiting for Mr. Hamilton. He came down the stairs for his coat, before opening the door which let in the cool night wind.

The sky was still dark when we started to walk on the sidewalk. It was quiet most of the way. For some reason, I wasn't in a rush to get home like I usually am. It was quiet until Mr. Hamilton broke the silence.

"(Y/n), I don't think I ever got the chance to fully acquaint myself with you. Nor have you. Although, because I have the occupation of a government official, I'm sure you've overheard some talk of me," He chuckled. I nervously laughed along with him. If I were to continue my visits, I had to lie. Who knows what would happen if Mr. Hamilton found out that I was related to a Democratic-Republican who serves for the New York Assembly.