s t o r m s

Philips POV

The thunder cracked like a bullet being fired from a pistol. The wind swirled and circled around, almost as if they were chasing each other. Rain poured down from the sky, flooding the streets and seeping through the ceilings of old houses such as ours. I could hear the water drip from the ceiling and splash into the cup that I placed underneath the leak. It was dark outside, the rain extinguishing the flames that lit from each oil lamp in the street. The clouds were cast in front of the sun, created a gloomy and somber mood within the town. Each boom of thunder and each strike of lighting got louder as the minutes went on.

I lay in my bed, wrapped in the blankets around me. Never in my life have I experienced a storm such as this one.

It terrified me. (a/n: my bb sunflower)

I couldn't sleep. Couldn't think. All I could see and hear were the voices in the wind, the sky, where no stars could be seen, and the leaves rustling in the harsh breeze. I tossed and turned trying everything to muffle the sounds. Nothing would suffice. It seemed bizarre for a storm to arrive in the middle of June, but then again, the weather was always wavering.

As the minutes kept going by, the storm got stronger. I heard a tree snap from its roots, crashing down into Angie's beloved garden. I began to stress, and when I stress, I eat.

Not even bothering to put on my slippers, I clambered out of bed, desperate to get away from the dangers that surrounded me. I picked up the candle holder and lifted it out in front of me, guiding my way through the dark house. The floor boards creaked, making it even harder to feel at peace. I crept down the stairs, my hand clutching onto the banister, my feet moving at a snail's pace. I kept my eyes on my feet, ensuring that I wouldn't trip and go tumbling down the stairs.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I let out a breath that I was not aware I had been holding in. I looked around me, making sure there was nothing around that could suddenly startle me. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I proceeded to the front room.

When I entered the front room, I was startled when I saw (Y/n), not sleeping, but awake and resting her head on the window sill, looking out onto the street. I gasped, to which (Y/n) noticed. She turned her head around, and a small smile danced across her face.

"Philip? What are you doing up at such an ungodly hour?" I chuckled, seeing her question quite hypocritical.

"I was going to ask you the same," I said, still standing in the place where I first saw her. She was sitting on the couch, curled up into a ball with her feet against her chest. She looked calm, peaceful unlike me, a terrified, stressing mess.

"I actually very much enjoy storms," She said quietly, making sure not to speak loudly over the faint sounds of the rain and wind outside. The candle placed next to her was blown out.

"How can you see without some sort of lighting in the room?"

"I have the flashes of lightning that illuminate the room for a split second, and the bright moon is shining its light through the clouds, making the sky a grey hue. I am perfectly fine without a candle."

I pursed my lips and nodded in understanding.

"So, what are your reasons?" She asked, still looking out the window. I didn't want my weakness to show, mostly because I thought she would tease me for it, seeing how she wasn't afraid.

"I-um," I stammered. She turned to face me.

"You're scared, aren't you?" She asked softly. Her eyes reciprocated her voice, no judgment to me found. (Y/n) smiled, and pat her hand on the empty space on the couch, motioning for me to sit.

I slowly walked over and sat down, setting the candle holder on the window sill. Once I was settled in, my body still wrapped in blankets, I looked outside while (Y/n) stared at me, and then at the candle that was still aflame. Suddenly, she blew out the candle, making it darker than it was before.

I panicked for a moment while my eyes were still adjusting to the darkness. Once they adjusted, I could see (Y/n)'s face, soft and innocent. We both sat there in comfortable silence, observing the madness of the world outside our home. I felt more serene than I was before, mostly due to the presence of another person.

Your POV

I saw Philip yawn out of the corner of my eyes, who was struggling to keep his eyes open. He closed his eyes, immediately falling asleep. I smiled to myself, seeing how tired he was. He fell asleep in contorted position, his legs against his chest and his body, which was faced sideways like mine.

Not wanting him to be uncomfortable for the entirety of the night, I stretched my legs out halfway. I moved his arms from there they had been, wrapped around his legs, and pulled him back with me. I laid back into the couch, and then set his body beside mine, his head resting on my stomach. I looked down at him, seeing how peaceful he was.

I realized that I saw a new side of Philip tonight, the meeker side of his ego. My views on Philip Hamilton changed at that moment. I now saw him as a caring person, remembering how much he cared when I got hurt a couple weeks back. I saw him as a forgiving person, remembering the time I called his father