The Vermilion Bird

A/N: The following story is based on the prompt: "write another story about shimon life or something" - Mai (guest on fanfiction.net)

Now have fun reading!

The Vermilion Bird

He remembered the day they told him his father died in battle. He had been a toddler, three years old standing in the hall of his father's house. A home he had no memories of anymore. They had taken him and brought him to a great house in the middle of the Ikaruga estate. A man appeared in front of him looking strict and sincere. Suddenly his face broke into a big grin. "You must be Shimon. I heard a lot about you." He passed him a handkerchief for Shimon had tears running down his face.

He remembered the smile of Ikaruga Houji, the head of the Ikaruga clan, on the day the main family took him in. He was grateful now. More grateful than he could have been that time. For three years he had felt to be an outsider in the main family, still mourning over his late father. And then she was born. He remembered the first time Ikaruga Sayo was presented. Her name was written on a plate at the day of her birth as the whole clan gathered on the courtyard in front of the main house for her to be presented. On the plate was written: Ikaruga Sayo. Misreading the characters, Shimon thought her name was Chiiko. And he called her Chiiko ever since. A little baby was the new pride of the whole Ikaruga clan. She was cute, blue eyes, pinkish red hair and a smiling face. Later when the main family was alone Shimon was allowed to hold her. As she smiled at him, he promised to protect her no matter what. In that moment she became his little sister.

He remembered the day he almost fell pray to the impurities. It was one of his first times in Megano. Six years old he couldn't believe he was joining his father and mother so soon. All of a sudden he appeared in front of him and saved him, Seigen-san. He didn't take long to exorcise the impurities surrounding them. And Shimon admired him. A while later he became his pupil. For two years he trained under Amawaka Seigen. He'd thought he would continue to train under Seigen for another few years when all of a sudden Seigen was send to the mainlands to a mission lasting for years. With Seigen gone Shimon trained harder as ever, wanting his sensei to acknowledge him when he was returning. With eleven he mastered every skill required for exorcism, with twelve he became platoon leader for the first time. Still Seigen-san didn't return. It didn't matter. By that time Shimon had acquired a new goal in life. To change the fate of her little sister, he was going to exorcise all impurities.

He remembered the day Seigen-san finally returned to the island. Shimon had rushed to meet him, to tell him all about his accomplishments. Happily he welcomed him back. Devastation rolled down on him when he recognized the broken man standing in front of him. Later he learned about the Hinatsuki tragedy. When he was in his room on that evening he shared tears for his lost teacher, his crushed idol. By then Shimon had just turned 14.

He remembered the day of his Ceremony of Ascension. A large crowd of exorcists had gathered to watch him being officiated as the Heavenly Commander Suzaku. He swore to act and live as his title commanded to him to. And he swore to himself to fight for his little sister and for Seigen-san.

He remembered the first time he saw Enmadou Rokuro. Unruly hair, crooked teeth, horrible manner of speech. He hated that guy and blamed him for Seigen-san to loose his right arm. If Rokuro hadn't brought himself into danger, Seigen wouldn't have to save him. With a missing right arm, Seigen would never be able to fight as an exorcist again.

He remembered having to wait two years for letting his anger out on the twerp, beating him up in a rather even fight. Shortly afterwards his view of Rokuro changed. He owed him a depth, he had yet to repay. For Enmadou Rokuro had saved his little sister Chiiko. After that he helped Rokuro train, to become the greatest exorcist the world has seen. He introduced him to the way of life on the island and sooner or later had they become friends.

He remembered the day he met her. She'd stumbled into his life when he'd at least expected. Walking in on him after taking a shower. Otomi Mayura, Seigen-san's daughter. He didn't know what he'd imagined her to be like but he was bothered with the fact she was so different compared to his idol. Looking crestfallen, timid, sad. Holding nothing but a low level of spirit and resolve. He didn't understand why he'd cared about her when he had a goal to achieve. But he did. He watched her until he couldn't stand his irritation about her anymore. In a gruff voice he gave her a piece of his mind, making her cry and run away. But she came back a little later. Her eyes, they suddenly shone with confidence and determination, moving something in him. He had been 18 years old and had no interest in the other sex. Little by little she changed this fact.

He remembered her first smile at him. A real smile, not the timid, polite one she gave him when she's asked him to train with her all those years ago or whenever she had thanked him. It was a small, happy smile that made his heart flutter.

He remembered how one day he was hit by a truth as if he'd been run over by a train. He had stared at her eating a sandwich with a smile and a blush that made him wish to see everyday. When she suddenly opened her big, blue and kind eyes he was rooted to the seat as his heart made a large jump and his stomach twisted in pleasure. He had known at that moment why he couldn't stop thinking about her. He had fallen in love with Otomi Mayura.

He remembered how he denied that truth for months. His life circulated around her but he wouldn't allow himself to give into these emotions. That was until he couldn't hold himself back after a mission in which she stupidly risked her life for Rokuro. The jealousy in him felt like an ulcer of dread painfully twisting his heart. He accused her, raising his voice and he had stalked her until her back hit a wall. He had watched her quiver in fear and it made him hate himself after the shock ebbed away. Defeated he had turned around wanting to leave when she suddenly yelled after him. He turned around and was welcomed by her burning lips.

He remembered that first kiss in every detail. Timid and a little bit awkward at first before they both shifted into a better angle. His heart had pounded so fast in his chest he heard its beat ringing in his ears.

He remembered the first time they made love. The last rays of sunlight bathed them as they became one. She had been so beautiful and he had never wanted to let her go.

He remembered the day he proposed. For years he hadn't been as nervous as in the moments before he'd asked her to marry him. He felt silly but her immediate reply calmed his nerves and made him despite himself grin like a fool.

He remembered the day they married. Seigen-san's glare made his neck tickle. He didn't notice it any longer after she smiled at him in the unique way that was saved for him.

He remembered the day their daughter was born. Everyone around him was freaking out while he remained calm and focused by controlling his breathing. He patiently waited until a nurse came to get him. When he saw Mayura holding their daughter with tears rushing down her face, he felt a new form of happiness and tears came to his eyes.

When he thought about his life up until this point, when he remembered all the events that lead to this day, he couldn't help but feeling grateful for the people he met. Together they created a better world, a world in which his daughter would have her father when she grew up and became an adult.

"Shimon, what are you thinking about?" Her voice brought him back to reality. A reality in which a small baby girl with smiling, sky blue eyes and two colored hair, blond-fuchsia, was happily sucking on his finger.

He pulled his finger away, receiving a questioning gaze of his daughter. Her eyes had the shape and size of her mother's eyes. "Just this and that."

He had a lot to protect.

Mayura smiled at him lovingly. "When you're finished thinking, can you tell her the fable about the bird and the kitten again? You know she loves that story."

Shimon returned her smile while their daughter made giggling sounds trying to grab a strain of his hair. "Sure."

--------------------

A/N: Did you like it? It was hard to think about something considering the prompt. Normally I don't like this summary-style but personally I believe the ending makes it worth reading. XD