Chapter 4

" My.... mother?" Cecile could not believe what she was hearing this woman say. She lowered the knife and looked the woman over. It was the Ada she had seen. Cold and manipulative and cunning and dangerous. She could not trust anything this evil woman told her. Not after what she had done to her and Jake and Sherry. She raised the knife again in defense, then saw Ada's eyes, and lowered the knife once more. Her eyes were not the same. They did not hold the same cold and calculated look of the Ada who had betrayed her. Instead, these eyes were warm, welcoming, and caring. They were also filling with tears as she looked at Cecile. She put the knife away and walked up to the woman claiming to be her mother.

She could see the resemblance between them. The hair color, the shape of their faces, eyes and bodies, and the vibe they both gave off. It was almost like looking into a mirror. Ada lowered one hand and reached for Cecile with the other. Cecile did not pull away, and Ada's hand made contact to her cheek. Her hand was soft and gentle as she stroked Cecile's cheek.

" You've grown so much."

Cecile could not stand it anymore. She pulled Ada- the real Ada- into her arms and hugged the mother that she thought had abandoned her. She felt her arms wrap around her tightly as she buried her face into her neck and cried. For some reason, crying was all she was good at. Cecile felt something warm slide down her back and realized that Ada was crying too. Cecile held on tighter, and they comforted each other with that small embrace.

" Cecile!"

Cecile released Ada as she heard Chris call to her. She was about to call back when Ada stopped her. She was confused, until she realized that it was Ada Wong. Chris would see this Ada as the enemy.

" How do I tell you apart from the other Ada?"

" By the clothing. She's wearing a blue dress, and I'm wearing a red blouse and black pants."

" Got it, but you have to go before they see you. I can't lose you again."

" You won't," Ada reassured her, giving her one last hug. Ada then pulled away and pulled out her grappling hook. She shot it at the building next door, and took off, flying as gracefully as a bird. Cecile could see where she got her acrobatic skills from. Forcing herself to look away, she headed towards Chris, who was on the stairs on his way down with the rest of the team. He had a bruise forming on his jaw where she had punched him, but she felt no regret for that. He needed to hear what no one would dare say.

Piers came to her side and examined her shoulder. Cecile had forgotten all about it. She looked at it and realized that it was bleeding again. Piers was already getting to work patching her up.

" How'd you do that?" he asked her.

" Punching walls," Cecile told him, the lie sliding easily off her tongue.

" Mm," was his answer. " Done."

" Thanks," Cecile said, giving him a grateful smile. He smiled back.

" Break it up, lovebirds," Chris spoke. The two backed away from each other and shot Chris a dirty look. Chris raised his hands in the air in surrender. Cecile laughed at the childish nature of the man in front of her, their conflict forgotten from her mind.

" Let's go find this thing," Chris commanded, and the team moved on, looking for the invisible enemy.

----------------------------------

They had searched the entire building, yet, there was no sign of the B.O.W anywhere. The BSAA agents were growing tired of the cat and mouse game. They had called HQ twice, telling them that if they could not find the B.O.W here, then they would have to abandon the mission and let Delta Team have a look on the other side of town. It was obvious that this was the beast's lair- meatless corpses littered the ground everywhere around the group, all of them covered in slime. The stench of blood and the fluids of the B.O.W nauseated all of them.