Chapter 21

I'm still surprised I ever published this, I thought it'd be too weird and no one would want to read it

~~

I woke up, heading to the bathroom. After I finished using the toilet for what felt like the hundredth time within twelve hours, I brushed my teeth. I felt the baby start to move, as they usually do at this time when they wake up.

I walked out and grabbed myself a bowl of cereal before sitting on the couch to watch early morning cartoons. I grabbed my headphones and iPod, smiling softly.

"Do you wanna listen to music?" I asked.

I put the headphones on my stomach, putting the music onto shuffle. It ranged from bands I liked to one's Frank liked, even though most of them were the same. It had Frank's music on it too. The baby moved for a bit and I smiled.

I was at the point when I didn't need to worry about a miscarriage as much, the baby was going to be born in a week. So I wouldn't have to go through the pain of having a stillbirth. But now I have to try to keep calm so I don't go into labor. If I go into labor then all the plans would be changed. Having a planned c-section vs. an emergency one was very different.

"Hey," Mikey said as he walked in the door.

"Hey, where were you?" I asked.

Mikey glanced outside towards Pete's car and I scowled. I turned back to the tv, eating my cereal.

"Do you have everything ready for the hospital?" Mikey asked.

"Yeah," i muttered unhappily.

"We packed all the baby stuff we'll need," he said. "We finally finished buying all the clothes and diapers and formula. Also, some lady at the store in the baby section, who has already had three kids, said to bring a nail file too. She said babies are born with sharp fingernails."

I giggled quietly at the thought as he sat beside me.

"And I made sure to buy a changing pad last night," he said. "Babies make a lot of accidents when you try to change them."

I smiled, finishing my breakfast.

"Did you finish the nursery?" I asked.

Mikey smiled and nodded.

"Got the car seat too," he added. "It's in your trunk right now and ready to go."

I smiled happily, holding onto his hand. But then another thought dawned on me and I whimpered.

"Frankie isn't going to be home in time," I whispered. "He's going to miss the birth of his first--and probably only--child."

"Maybe you'll be able to get pregnant again once Frank gets home," Mikey said. "This little guy will have a new brother or sister."

"Guy?" I asked. "The baby is a boy? Mikey, I told you not to tell me!"

"No," Mikey denied. "I'm just using guy in a gender-neutral way. A lot of people use guy that way."

I frowned slightly but didn't say anything more.

"But the chances of me getting pregnant are so small," I said. "It took five years for me to get pregnant."

"Well, maybe you'll get pregnant again once this baby is five," he said.

"That doesn't sound so bad," I mumbled. "Then the first kid is already grown more so we don't have to worry about taking care of two babies at once. But there's not a lot of space, our house is tiny. I don't think they'd be able to share a room with the baby waking up crying every few hours."