Chapter Five

That early afternoon was spent with Travis and Valeria walking along the galleries and occasional gift shops of Carmel's tree-lined streets. There she bought some thoughtful touristy items to bring back to her mother and father in New Mexico and looked forward to seeing them in a matter of days. She also bought for herself a small silver dolphin neckless, clasped on a silver chain. It would be a memento of her trip out to the West coast. Most impressive to Valeria as they meandered down to the ocean's edge, was the sugar-white sand of Carmel beach and the twisted cypress trees that seemed to miraculously grow right out of it. There they descended the rolling sandy hill that led from the village down to the surf.

"Wow. The ocean looks so inviting," Valeria said excitedly, seeing the waves crashing in the distance.

"Yes. But don't kid yourself. This is not Southern California . . . land of those Baywatch beaches you see on TV."

"But it's so gorgeous. Where are all the swimmers? Isn't this the summer season right now?"

"It is. But here on the Central coast, that sea is best just to look at. And there's a few good reasons for that, Miss Arizona. Which it's best for you to know."

"Really? Like?" Valeria was taking off her sandals to prepare to get her feet wet as they walked on the wet sand northward, toward the green golf course of Pebble Beach.

"Well, as you will soon see . . . the seawater is super cold here. All year."

Holding her sandals in her hand, she ran closer toward the ocean and gingerly took a few steps in the foaming surf, no deeper than her ankles. She turned and quickly ran back.

"My goodness! You're so right . . . that water is freezing!"

"And that's just one reason you don't see people out there in that very lovely sea."

Valeria hung on to her shoes with one hand while she walked closer to Travis. She put her arm under his for warmth and to feel a closer bonding with him.

"And those other reasons?"

"Big waves which can cause undertows, and . . . sharks. Definitely could be a death trap if you get coaxed out there by its beauty."

"It certainly is that . . . look at that sun shining through the waves!"

"Every summer, on this beach a few tourists become . . . well, casualties. It happens all along this coastline. Mostly from those very sparkling waves which coaxes them in. And then it's too late. The currents take them out too far . . . or the waves pull them under."

"You're kidding. So dangerous?"

"I wish I was kidding."

"Well, and if you say there's sharks out there, too . . . that's all it takes for me to stay with swimming pools."

Travis laughed, holding her body closer to his.

"Yeah. Actually, these waters . . . all the way up to San Francisco, are home to the great whites. They feed on seals and sea otters out there in the bay. Swimmers unfortunately don't know that, and well, they can look a lot like their favorite food."

"Ouch!"

"Ouch, is right. By the time the shark realizes he's made a mistake, taking that fist huge bite . . . well it can ruin your whole afternoon."

Valeria just frowned at the suggested tragedy and hung on tighter to Travis' arm.

But there was another tragedy Valeria's mind kept going back to. The story he had told her back at the La Playa Hotel. The young woman who was supposed to haunt the place. Did she not know the dangers of this sea, living so near it? The story of the Ghirardelli chocolate heiress' death at the turn of the century--a tragic death by drowning there in Carmel Bay. It was now intensely something Valeria knew she wanted to research further. There was obviously much more to the occurrence and legend, both told and untold.