Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Driving into the center of Santa Fe's Oldtown district, brought back many memories for Valeria—her childhood, high school years, and the sobering maturity of having to leave home for university, fist in Virginia and the to the neighboring state of Arizona. Though she had looked forward to meeting with one of her best friends from that formative period, a girl whom she had not seen for so long, her mind was racing with serious other issues. While searching out a place to park her car and walking under the streetlights toward Enrique's Restaurant and Bar, she realized she was already fifteen minutes late in meeting up with Anna. As she entered alone and looked around, she felt several sets of eyes on her. She realized this was probably a result of wearing a strapless, short summer dress, and her long hair brushed down simply but fully, giving her that sensual look, so unavoidably attractive to guys in a place like Enrique's, almost solely frequented by the local singles set.

As she stepped forward and continued to look around in the dim and crowded bar, she suddenly felt two silky arms embrace her. She immediately smelled a perfume that told her it was none other than her friend, Anna.

"So that's it . . . Just keep me waiting with all these hunky guys around," Anna said, giggling through her classic laugh. She appeared just as Valeria had remembered her, only perhaps more beautiful, as females sometimes do when they mellow nicely into the sophistication of their mid-twenties.

"You look so hot, Val!" Anna exclaimed. "Life's being good to you these years, I see."

"Oh, Anna!"

They hugged and kissed on the cheek.

"Well, not actually," Valeria responded. "But, come on, look at you . . . Beautiful!"

"Thanx, sweets! Let's try to find a place to sit in this crazy place."

The two moved through couples and singles standing with drinks in hand to the back stairs and up to the restaurant area.

Taking a table that had just become available on the balcony, it afforded them a view of the large plaza below and the nightly activity of the historic Old Town.

"So, my gosh! We have so much to catch up on," Anna said. "I mean . . . has it really over a year since I've seen you last?"

"Yeah. And that was only briefly. During my Christmas break, remember?"

"Yup. I was just breaking up with that guy from Texas. Wow. So glad that chapter is over."

The waitress appeared and the two were given dinner menus. They also ordered margaritas and corn chips for starters.

"It's great to see you again, Anna, truly! I just can't believe how good you look."

"Well thank you, lovely girl. I'm working for a bank now. Here in Santa Fe. As an escrow supervisor. Love the job. Good pay, nice people."

"Well, there must be something else. Your bright eyes and big smile tell me there's more going on in your life. So . . . what's up in the love department?"

"Oh, I thought you'd never ask!" She smiled back broadly. "I'm engaged!"

She thrust out a tanned hand sporting a diamond ring.

"Seriously? Wow! So, who's the lucky . . ."

"Jeff's from the bank. He's the manager, actually." She blushed a bit. "Yeah, one of those romances."

"Well, that's such cool news, Anna! I'm so happy for you."

"OK, now enough about me. The last time I caught up with you, you were just getting ready to start a master's degree program over in Arizona in . . . parapsychology?"