Chapter Twenty

That evening, while preparing to meet her friend Anna in Santa Fe, Valeria received a call on her smartphone. She didn't recognize the number but could tell it was long distance from California.

"Hello?'

"Miss Alvarez?

"Yes. Who is this?

"I'm detective Troy Miller from the Monterey Police Department?"

"Yes."

"I hope I'm not disturbing you at this hour. Do you have a moment to talk?"

"Yes. But what's this about?

"I'm aware you were working with Professor Travis Colter on a murder case a few days ago, here in Monterey?"

"Yes."

"A . . . paranormal consultant of some sort?"

"That's right. Is Travis OK?"

"Well . . . no need to be alarmed just yet, Miss. We were just wondering if you knew anything of his whereabouts these past few days. Seems he suddenly left his teaching post at the college and well, no one can vouch for his movements at this time."

"Seriously?"

"His friends in the area, and family. They can't place his whereabouts either. Have you been in touch, Miss Alvarez, with the professor since you returned to New Mexico?"

"Well I had a phone conversation with him . . . just a day ago. Briefly. Just after I arrived here in Santa Fe. But not since. Why? What do you suspect?"

"Well, like I say, Miss. It may be nothing to worry about. But Professor Colter has been officially reported as a . . . missing person by his family and now the college. As of today."

"Well what could this mean?"

"We were hoping you might shed some light on this if you could, Miss. We're aware you worked with him . . . fairly closely on the Leon girl's case. That teen that helped partially solve a Monterey homicide case?"

"Yes. He had called me in to interview the girl."

"And so . . . you can establish that you were in his company in Pacific Grove? This past weekend?"

"Yes. That's correct."

Valeria was stunned by the news and further intrigued by the detective's serious line of questioning.

"As a missing person, Miss, this is still in its early stages of investigation. Most of the times these things just blow over. Usually when the person shows up and everybody can relax."

"Yes, I understand."

"Can I count on you to stay in touch, then, if I need to contact you again, Miss Alvarez?"

"Sure. Sure. I'll be here. At this number. And please . . . let me know what you find out."

"I will."

There was a pause before he spoke again.

"So . . . Professor Colter did not seem . . . stressed or upset in any way when you spoke with him by phone?"

"No. He seemed fine. We discussed the case of Natalia Leon. Her dreams. And that I will possibly return to work with the family after a week or so."

"Alright, Miss Alvarez. Thank you for your cooperation."

"Please. Whatever I can do to help."

"Have a good evening, then."

She heard the phone click off and immediately looked up Travis' number in her contacts list. When she dialed it, there was no connection. Not even a ringtone. This, together with the present disturbing news from the Monterey detective, caused a nauseous feeling to come over her. She worried intensely for Travis' safety, while at the same time began stressing over how these inexplicable occurrences seemed to be happening more often and unexpectedly. The sphere of the paranormal activity which she had been investigating in this isolated case in California, had now morphed into something consuming her own life. And the growing explanation for it now seemed to suggest something from her past and childhood.

Again, she tried calling Travis, but got no further than before. His mobile phone was clearly dead. Looking at the clock, she could see it was only an hour before she was to meet with her friend in Old Town. She considered cancelling but instead dialed the Leon residence long distance in Pacific Grove. She wanted to speak to either Lupe or Ortencia. Perhaps they had heard something from Travis over the short time she had been back from the coast.

"Hello?"

"Ortencia?"

"Yes?"

"This is Valeria. From . . ."

"Oh, Valeria! I'm glad you called."

"Is everything alright with . . ."

"Not really. Natalia has been sneaking out of the house! It's happened twice now. Seems to be while she's sleeping.."

"Oh my gosh, Ortencia!"

"The first time was yesterday. While she was napping in her room. She left the house and at first we weren't aware of her missing. Not until she returned at the front door and was and acting very strange. We understood she was still asleep."

"Please, Go on . . ."

"And last night. She managed to escape out the window of her room! It was around two AM. Fortunately, we found her a half hour later. Walking along the road toward Carmel."

"Oh my God. That's so serious. Was she alright?"

"She didn't respond to our voices. Just got in the car and we brought her home. We put her back in bed . . . and she slept soundly until morning."

"Ortencia . . . you must keep her in your house now, all the time. There are some dangerous elements to this."

"I know. Jesus, I know!"

"Have you seen or heard from Dr. Colter? From the university?"

"No. Not since you were here. Why, Valeria?"

"Well . . . he seems to be missing as of a day or so ago. According to the police who contacted me this evening."

"Oh my God. We can't tell Lupe or Soto about this . . .They're just too freaked out right now."

"Believe me, they're not alone. If you hear from . . . or see the professor, please call me immediately, OK? I'll try to get back out there as soon as I can. Just try to keep calm. Make sure you watch over Natalia night and day. She should not be left alone."

"Alright, Valaria. We plan on that. Come back when you can."

"I will. Take care for now."

"Bless you, Valaria."

"Thanks, Ortencia. Good night."

She shut off her smartphone and thought quietly for a moment. As she got up and began to dress for her meeting down the mountain to Santa Fe, Valeria could not relax. She did not even look forward to chatting with her childhood friend anymore. It was all she could do to prevent herself from calling to arrange a flight back to Monterey. As she went out the side door of the house and switched on the lights to the underground garage, she wondered how much of this growing situation she should share with Anna. Perhaps nothing should be said of it, as she knew well it could all get back to her mother. For the first time in her life, Valeria felt so alone. And so at risk while stepping out into the cooling, high desert air.

* * *