Chapter Seventeen

After an additional hour of her mother's company, and a cup of warm milk, Valeria had finally settled down following the terrible nightmare.

"Mom, this is ridiculous, you're here at my bed, and I'm behaving like a little girl."

"Oh, yes. I remember those days," her mother said, taking her daughter's empty cup and setting it on the nightstand. "You had some real gems of nightmares in those days. It was back when we lived in that old house behind the cathedral. Your Grandma's house, where I grew up. Roberto and I lived there with you until Grandma died and he got into the law firm."

"Yeah. Some great memories of that old place. It was so small. And in town. I remember the school bus could pick me up right in front of the house."

"And you don't remember how many bad dreams like this one you had during those times, when your Grandmother Maria was sick? Those years before she died?"

"No, Mom. I guess I've blocked them out since then. Of course . . . I do remember Grandma being sick. And her funeral. But we moved to this house right after that and my school life became super important."

"Well, Val, I'm sorry but tonight takes me back a while. When I used to come into your little room and help you back to sleep after those terrible dreams. God. It seemed you were having one or two bad ones a week in those days."

At first Valeria was speechless hearing this.

"Really? Well, OK. I Guess I always had a vivid imagination."

"Yes, you did. The stories and the paintings you made in school? They were so impressive to your teachers."

"Think maybe that's why I've gone into this . . . crazy field mom? Somewhere on the edge of traditional psychology?"

"Partly that. I'm sure."

"What do you mean, 'partly, Mom? What else do you think contributed to it? So is there something else?"

"Well yes. Definitely another factor, as I see it now."

"Really, Tell me."

"Well . . . it's not something we've talked much about since you were young."

"God, Mom. What is it? Tell me."

"See your Grandmother Maria used to tell you these . . . stories since you were a baby."

"Yeah, I remember some of them. Stories about animals. Kingdoms and fairies. They were so cool."

"Yes. But she used to tell you other stories which I never approved of."

"Really? Like what?"

"Well fortunately you don't remember them. Strangely you never did. But they would sure come out in your dreams. And I mean really come out, Val."

"Oh my gosh . . ."

"You don't remember me here, like this at your bedside when you were like . . . eight, nine, ten years old? . . . You crying so much you couldn't go back to sleep?"

"Well wait . . . kind of . . . yes. I do remember something about that. I remember well the warm milk . . . and you singing to me."

Her mother smiled.

"God, Mom. I've blocked so much of that out. Can't remember the dreams, though. I do remember the crying . . . and being too afraid for you to leave my room for some reason."

"Well . . . it's just as well you've forgotten all that, Val."

"No. It's not good I have. It explains a lot. Possibly exactly why I've gone into this study of mine."

Valeria was silent for a long moment.

"Wait. I guess I do remember having some bad dreams as a child. . . but I never dwelled on them in the morning. And I guess . . . you did help me get over them on those nights."

"Many times, Hon."

"Well, then what were Grandma's stories about that spooked me so much? I only remember the good ones. The funny, and fascinating ones."

"Well, they were just about . . . darker things, that's all. Subjects children had no business hearing."

"Come on, Mom. Like what?"

"Oh, spirits. Victims of bad fate. Curses on people. Mysterious disappearances. Just scary stuff for a child."

"Geeze Mom. I can't remember those at all!"

"Well you sure dreamed about them. I scolded my mother many times for those stories. And what they did to you during the night."

Valeria was slowly putting together this revelation. And what connection it might have on her present emotional condition. Her mother had no idea how bad that presently was. Nightmarish dreams which had become such a critical part of the current case she was working on. And how unorthodox the whole situation was, having these inexplicable elements invade her life and past family history.

"Well, anyway, sweetie. You've just been under a lot of pressure this year with university. Your orals . . .your thesis, and now this serious case. Whatever it is. Look, its too far away now, Val. Out there on the coast. You need to forget about it a while. Just get lots of rest, that's all. To clear your mind. To get yourself back here. Home in Santa Fe and centered once again."

She reached up for her mother's warm hand. "You're right, mom. Always full of wisdom." But she suddenly felt the need to be alone. To think about all that was just revealed to her.

"So, OK Mom. I'm going to spend this week, and maybe into next, trying to do just that. Get centered. Relaxed again."

"That's it." Her mother smiled.

"I just wish . . . I knew more about Grandma's stories. Funny how you never discussed that with me before."

"I never thought it was useful to you, Hon. For some good reason as a child, you were able to block out the bad things she told you."

"But I didn't, Mom. If they've come back now in nightmares."

"Well, after I got onto those stories she was telling you . . . and how they were affecting you. I just never left you alone with her anymore. And this was after you were say . . . age ten, eleven, twelve."

"But you said . . . it went on for years?"

"Unfortunately, when you were younger, it did, sweetie. The bad stories mixed in with the good ones, of course."

Valeria was now quiet. Just letting the impact of what she had heard, and its psychological impact, set in.

"OK, Mom. Well thanks for sharing all that. I know it must have been difficult for you to handle. Going on with your own mother and daughter. Somehow, we all endure, though. Right?" Valeria mustered a brave smile.

"That's right, sweetheart. Now you just get some sleep. I'll be here if you call for me again. You're safe in this house. You father installed a very strong security system as one of his projects. We'll have to show you how to set and disarm it later."

"Right, Mom. So, you get some rest yourself. I'll be OK now. Thanks for being here. Tell Dad thanks, too."

"Good night then, darling."

"Yeah, Mom. Goodnight.

Her mother picked up the empty glass and walked out of Valeria's room, closing the door only partially. Just enough light from the main part of the large house made the environment seem, for the time being, safe.

As she put her head back on the pillow, she tried not to think of those terrible images of Travis with the shapely young student, amid the bloodied Pitbulls. She tried instead to remember her grandmother's feeble voice, telling her stories and describing vivid images to her as a child. Some, like well-lit rooms, she could easily recall. Others, like dark and sealed chambers, she still could not unlock after so many years.

* * *