Chapter Ten

When Valaria got the call from Lupe that it would be possible for her to monitor Natalia that night, she and Travis were already out of the restaurant. They were walking along the boardwalk in front of historic Cannery Row, as it meandered toward the Aquarium.

"So, if the girl speaks again tonight, you'll record her?"

"Yes, but not only," Valeria replied, a little dizzy from the tequila. "I plan to engage her in a dialogue. It's sometimes possible in these states when dreams are being vocalized."

"You mean her parents have never done that with her before?"

"Apparently not. And I'm used to that way of thinking. It's sort of a cultural thing. An Old-World idea that the sleeper should never be awakened while sleep talking or walking."

"They're worried about a trauma which might result, I suppose."

"Yes, but there's simply no hard data to supports that. Especially If it occurs only in a dialogue. There could be harmful effects if the subject is violently awakened or finds themselves alone in a strange environment. But this will not be the case with Natalia in her own bed with her mother nearby."

"Naturally."

"Mothers are super-cautious about these things, and I respect that."

"So, what do you intend to find out tonight? That is, if Natalie allows this dialogue?"

"Possibly who or from where she is getting her visions, those dreams she has. I'll just play it out and see. It could be a case of her channeling another presence while she's asleep. Someone speaking through her. A sort of remote consciousness. You see there's this obvious impression that much of what Natalia reports is beyond her understanding as a child. Even as a precious adolescent as she seems to be. I'll be listening for this adult sensibility somewhere if she speaks with me tonight in her sleep. Try to engage it in dialogue."

They walked out onto a wide gray terrace associated with the Aquarium complex. People were standing at the rails and watching a group of sea otters below, frolicking in the kelp-covered sea.

"Oh my gosh! These little guys are so cute!" she exclaimed. "They're like puppies."

"Yeah, sea-otters are one of our big attractions to this area. They are pretty damn cute."

He reached over and put his arm around her as they looked out toward the horizon. There was a curvaceous and warm element to her body which he felt, fighting the urge to pull her closer to him. Valeria responded by turning to face him closely.

"You know, you've been super helpful to me on this impromptu trip out here, Travis. And I want to thank you for that."

She moved close, giving him the signal that he could hold her in both of his arms. As Travis proceeded to do this, once again she immediately felt a stimulation return to her that only the embrace of a man could bring out. It came quickly and strongly. There was a silent moment when she expected to him to kiss her on the lips but instead of allowing it, she took a step back, not feeling the time was right. She knew it would only engage her in something capable of destroying her determined mindset for that evening. Halting what she had been so disturbingly distracted by, after hearing Natalia's frightening recording that morning.

"Sorry," she said, self-consciously. "I guess I've not been much fun today. . . Being so consumed with this case."

"I understand," Travis said, slowly and gently letting her go, "We've both been sort of thrown into this, I guess."

For the moment she did not look back into his eyes.

"So are there any similarities to this case . . . with others you've studied?" he asked.