Chapter Nine

During the lunch in Monterey, Valeria told Travis she needed to get back to Natalia's mother and grandmother, as she had promised them.

"So what are you going to report?" he asked, sipping a beer and managing a second spicy taco on his plate of rice and beans.

"I'm going to give them my thoughts about this case. And purely clinically," Valeria said, drinking lightly from her beer and having hardly touched her large platter of Mexican food.

"Clinically? Which is?"

"I see elements of several classic patterns of PA here. All of which I'm familiar. But the possible connection of her dream . . . to me personally . . . I'll not mention to them. Not yet. I want to investigate that, if possible and more closely."

"Alright, so . . . what patterns do you see the girl presenting, then?"

"It's sort of a case of Remote Viewing on one level. She seems able to see physical locations and activities beyond her scope geographically, that's pretty obvious. But yet, within a limited sphere of the Monterey Peninsula, and just beyond . . . as in the case of Big Sur, Salinas and Watsonville, according to her mother. Certainly, her sessions are confined to the Central Coast region here. Something like a radius of fifty or so miles."

"Is that significant?"

He was now looking again into Valeria's eyes, the intensity with which she was now involved. Travis quietly reflected that even in her focused and distant state, Valeria was exceedingly attractive to him.

"Well, everything is significant in PA research. I have a colleague who is studying Remote Viewing specifically back in Arizona. She'd be interested in this case for that reason alone."

"Makes perfect sense."

"But there's a lot more to this adolescent girl, Travis. She seems to be focused on incidents of death and the physicality of it. The Chinese 'bone pickers' in Watsonville . . . the serial killings here in Monterey . . . the dead horse children cried over and helped to bury, just to the south of us in Big Sur."

"Wow, that's right."

"But now In the Alida Ghirardelli incident, she even sees beyond death. 'The girl coming back as an angel . . . Not wanting to leave.' That's all very significant to me. And how about the coincidence of that whole story to my interest in your Carmel ghost here? What can I possibly make of that, Travis? How could Natalia have possibly even guessed you told me that story only yesterday?"

"Yes. It's really bizarre, I'll have to admit."

"It just tells me that . . . though she can pull-in events from history, up to several hundred years ago, she's also very capable with the present. With me. . . a very recent history."

"Right. So what do you make of that?"

"Well, that's where the additional element of paranormal activity comes in."

"Namely?"

"She's possibly channeling . . ."

"You mean tapping into someone else's . . ."

"Exactly. Pulling in thoughts and experiences of others. It's a pretty common phenomenon reported in this field. And given considerable research over the years."

"The whole Edgar Cayce thing? . . . Logging on to the awareness of someone else. In another time or location?"

"Yes. Correct."

"Well in the past, as i understand, it was just explained away as being generated from the 'spiritual world,' Right? So . . . what about now?"

"Current thinking about this trait is that it's somehow generated and received by chemical-electrical light waves. Between individuals . . . living or deceased."