Chapter 21 - The Wish

Time stood still for Goku as he stared up at Shenron's glistening slick body as it snaked into figure eights against the darkening sky. Shenron's tail coiled into the distance like fluttering ribbon as he waited for his summoner to make their request. Goku's lips were prised open as if to make his wish but the words had difficulty coming out. He could feel Bulma's anticipation surround him as she waited behind him.

She had given him the honor of making the wish on their behalf since she felt it only fair that he do it as he had retrieved the majority of the dragonballs. He really didn't want that honor but he couldn't say no to her. He turned around and looked at her eager face as she smiled expectantly at him. He returned her smile and returned his gaze upwards to the wish making dragon.

It was time to make the wish, the wish that they had been talking about all week, the wish that had kept them up all night and the wish that would change their lives forevermore. Yet, now that the moment was here Goku was at a loss. He had been certain all week that this was what he wanted but ever since Piccolo's visit and his altercation with Vegeta, other ideas had started swirling in his mind. These other ideas that Goku had spinning in his head may break Bulma's heart, which Goku couldn't bear. So, he was stuck.

Goku thought about the hour he spent with Bulma before they summoned Shenron. He returned to the cliff that she was settled on and he waved the last dragonball triumphantly in his fist. Bulma was so excited that she leapt into his arms, circling her legs around his waist and kissed him passionately. It wasn't too long after that warm reception, Goku carried her into the nearby cave and finished what she had started. Memories of him shoving her against the rocky wall as he hurriedly tore off her clothes, her nails clawing against his back, her little raspy breaths in his ears as he moved within her floated in front of him. The notion that he could have Bulma like that all the time for the rest of his life was certainly enticing.

However, other memories came into play as well. Gohan saying his first words or taking his first steps, the scent of Chichi's delicious dinner greeting him as flew home from a hard day of training, the view of the lush wilderness that had always surrounded his home on Mt. Paozu since he was boy. Even his latest fight with Vegeta replayed in his mind. Vegeta battled Goku with all that he had for Bulma and their child, so that had to mean something. Piccolo's words of worry rang in his ears as he contemplated this wish. Either way, he was giving up something that he truly loved.

With a slight nod to his self, Goku had finally made a decision. Goku turned around and connected his eyes with Bulma. He needed to see her as he made this wish, it was only fair. Her face of optimism quickly changed into an expression of concern as she took in the view of Goku's stern face.

"I'm sorry Bulma..." he apologized softly, sorrow and regret apparent in his eyes as they grew glassy with unshed tears. Hearing alarm bells sounding off in her head Bulma attempted to interject but Goku was too fast.

"Lord Shenron, I wish for Bulma to fall madly in love with Vegeta for the rest of her life!" Goku called out.

"GOKU NO! What have you done? Why would you do this us?!" Bulma cried in surprise as she would have never predicted this. Running toward him she beat his chest with her fists with all her strength. "You've ruined our happiness!"

"Bulma, I just want everyone to be happy." Goku explained, although it had hurt him to make such a wish. Bulma knew it, as it was clear in his eyes as she stared into them. Bulma also knew she only had a few moments with Goku before Shenron granted this horrible wish of his. Grasping his face urgently she kissed him hard.

"Very well. Your wish has been granted." Shenron's voice boomed. Suddenly a glowing strand of lightning ripped through the sky and it struck Bulma's figure as she was kissing her Goku for the last time. She fell unconscious to the ground after being hit with Shenron's magic.

Goku's arms had never felt so empty as they did at that moment in time. He was then plagued with seconds thoughts, unsure if chose correctly. But it was only the grief from losing Bulma's love that slanted his thoughts in those directions. He knew for the benefit of this planet, he had made the right wish.

"Lord Shenron, please grant me my 2nd wish. Anyone who has knowledge of this affair, make them forget it." Goku wished once more. No need to torture Bulma with the memories of their love or anyone else for that matter, Goku thought to himself.

"It is done," Shenron thundered. Several lightning bolts emerged from the sky and struck the ground as Shenron danced airly in the sky. The darkness immediately faded and the dragonballs turned to stone. Shenron was gone.

Goku may have wished away Bulma's love for him but he hadn't wished away his own. He was still in love her and he still had the memories of their sweet but short time together. He crouched down next to her sleeping figure, caressing her smooth cheek tenderly.

"Vegeta..." Bulma murmured as stirred in her unconscious state. Goku's heart sank at the sound of Shenron's effective magic. But this was the choice that he made, Goku reminded himself as pulled Bulma into his arms. He had no right to feel the slight jealousy that he was feeling right now. He threw her over his shoulder and he would get Vegeta too. He would return them to Capsule Corp. and neither of them would be the wiser about this entire situation. Bulma would awaken, head over heels in love with Vegeta. And since it was obvious that Vegeta had some kind of emotions for Bulma as well, they would get married and be happy family with their new baby.

Goku found Vegeta in the same place where they had left him from before. Before throwing Vegeta onto his alternate shoulder, Goku looked at the saiyanjin prince's arrogant face.

"You treat her right and don't make me regret my wish." Goku told the fellow's stoic face.

After he returned the couple to Capsule Corp, Goku went back to his training area that he had been sharing with Gohan and Piccolo. He saw the two of them sparring strenuously in the distance, Piccolo having a slight upper hand against his young son. Yet, Gohan was holding his own and was creatively countering Piccolo's moves. Piccolo had been right, Gohan was amazing. Just when you thought it was time to count the little guy out, Gohan came back with even more vigour. Goku smiled to himself knowing that he definitely made the right decision.

"Hey guys! Think you could use a third sparring partner?" Goku asked as he forced out a wide smile after their last match. He needed a good fight to forget about his day.

"Dad! Of course!" Gohan responded brightly. Piccolo smiled knowingly at Goku.

"Glad to have you back, Goku. Gohan's been slacking severely without you." Piccolo stated as Gohan's cheeks reddened with his sensei's critique. "Also, I'm glad to see that you took my advice and made the right wish." Piccolo told Goku under his breath so that Gohan wouldn't hear the exchange.

"How do you know anything about my wishes?" Goku asked, surprised since he used his last wish to make anyone with knowledge of his affair to forget about it.

"Come on, Goku. You can't use Namek magic on a Namekian. Don't worry though, your secret is safe with me. There is no benefit in anyone finding your tryst out." Piccolo replied, calming Goku's reservations.

"Let's just move on and beat those Androids!" Piccolo said encouragingly, grateful to have his comrade back.

Goku nodded as he wanted nothing more than to move on. It would be tough to forget about Bulma, especially after the week he had shared with her still fresh in his mind. However, now that Bulma was in love with Vegeta, he had no choice but to force himself to move on. Goku would use all that pent-up energy from his yearnings and gear it towards the Androids.

"Those Androids won't know what hit them after I'm through," Goku promised, looking forward to defeating them.