Part 3: How to Run

I was driving over the speed limit and flying through yellow lights, cursing my terrible luck every time I hit a red light. My palms were sweating and my lips were trembling. I couldn't figure why I was so affected by this guy. I felt like he had crawled under my skin and settled in my bones. I couldn't figure out if my body thought that was a good thing or a bad thing, but my head was absolutely not okay with it. I needed to leave before I got hurt again because quite literally it might kill me. I pulled into a parking space next to my Bug and turned off the car. The campus was still pretty busy, so I tried to walk quickly back to Thomason without attracting too much attention to myself. I kept my head down, my eyes darting from side to side quickly. Every little noise made me jump and I had to remind myself to keep breathing. 'You survived this before, you can do it again,' I reminded myself as I reached my dorm room. With shaking hands, I stuck the key into the lock and pushed the door open. The dark room seemed like it was full of watching eyes and I whimpered involuntarily. I turned on the light as my phone rang. I tensed, because I only have 3 contacts in my phone. I checked and it was Paige.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Evan? Where are you?" she hissed quietly.

"I'm back at our room," I replied.

"You have to leave. Switching shirts didn't work for long. He's following your scent again. Your best bet is to leave the city for a little while until he calms down," she was speaking in a rush, like she was worried someone was going to walk in.

"Why? I can't do anything until I know why. The last time I left too early and it backfired on me."

There was a pregnant pause while Paige digested that information. She took a deep breath and said, "Look, I'll tell you everything I can once you're safe. There's some cash in my dresser drawer. Take that and go change your clothes again. Leave your old ones. Then find a hotel somewhere in a nearby town. Then call me." She hung up, leaving me with a sense of terror that I hadn't felt for a year.

I sprang into action when a door down the hall slammed shut. Grabbing my charger from the wall and furiously rifling through Paige's drawers until I found a small envelope of cash. I checked to make sure I still had my grandma's necklace around my neck and grabbed my purse from my bed. Checking to make sure I still had my car keys, I grabbed a pillow and rushed out of the room, slamming the door shut with an almighty bang that made me jump. I ran down the hall, ignoring the amount of glares and odd looks I got from the other residents of the hall. I felt like they knew what I was running from and a cold sweat broke out on my lower back. I pushed the double doors open with a bang, almost running into one of the smiling girls that checked me in earlier today. It seemed like a lifetime ago.

She looked at my sweaty, terrified face with a look of disgust. "You know the Alpha will find you. I'm alerting him to your presence over the mind-link right now. He'll be here any second."

I didn't stick around to see if she had anything else to say. I bolted into the nighttime, kicking up dust behind my heels. I could hear something behind me, and a thrill of terror went through me when I heard a growl that was far too close for comfort. I ran faster and skidded to a halt in front of my Bug. I threw the door open and slid into the driver's seat, inserting the key into the ignition with trembling fingers. The car sputtered to life with a dry sounding cough and I slammed it into reverse, whipping around and coming face to face with something I could only have imagined in my nightmares.

Standing in front of me was an enormous black wolf, about the size of a horse. I could see the enormous paws and the curved fangs protruding cruelly from its mouth. But the eyes were what caught my attention. They were emerald and  identical to the boy from earlier. My mouth fell open in a soundless scream and I slammed on the gas petal, remembering the car was still in reverse, thank goodness. The car flew backwards with a squeal of the tires and put distance between myself and the beast, who was standing silently, waiting.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a parking space that was open on both sides. I stopped, and carefully putting the car in drive, pulled into the spot slowly, hoping to divert his attention. I could see his giant shadow moving closer and I waited as long as I could before slamming on the gas as pulling through the space and out of the lot, hanging a sharp right and heading for the road that would take me to the highway. I could hear the angry growls that were being emitted behind me and I shuddered. As I drove away, one mournful howl pierced the night with startling clarity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stopped in the next town over at a gas station. I grabbed the first touristy t-shirt and baggy sweatpants I could find, throwing them on in the bathroom and leaving my old ones in the trash can. As an afterthought, I bought some men's deodorant and applied heavily. Paige said that he was tracking by scent, so I would smell as different as I could. Stuffing my hair into a baseball hat, I tried ignore the flashbacks I was having of doing something very similar a year ago. My hands were getting clammy and I took a deep breath to calm myself down. The cashier gave me an odd look but didn't comment on my choice in attire. I handed him the cash quickly. Then he sniffed the air and my back stiffened. I turned on my heel and ran out to the car. As I opened the door, I saw him pick up a cell phone and I panicked. I peeled out of the parking lot, leaving a smell of burning rubber behind me.

I kept driving until I came to the next town over and found a tiny motel. The vacant sign was flickering weakly and their was only one street light that worked in the parking lot. I checked in with the grumpy woman at the front desk, who threw the key at me as soon as I had paid for a room. I kept my head down and walked quietly to the room, trying to keep to the shadows. Unlocking the door, I walked inside and turned on the light, locking the door behind me. There was one lamp and a single bed, covered with a hideous bedspread. There was a bathroom with a leaky faucet and a tiny shower. I pulled my phone out and called Paige.

"Hello?" she sounded rushed. "Evan? Is that you?"

"I need answers," I responded by way of greeting.

She sighed and took a deep breath, "The guy who is chasing you is named Gabe. You are his mate, and that is why he is following you. The moon goddess has destined you two to be together."

"You sound completely crazy! What are mates? The moon goddess? Paige! Hello? Why was there a wolf chasing me? Why were your eyes glowing?!"

There was a stretch of silence. All of a sudden, I heard a voice that made my stomach drop and flutter at the same time. "Because sweetheart, we're werewolves," Gabe said with a smirk in his voice, "and I'm coming to find you."

--------------------------------------------------------

If you like it, favorite it! If you see something I should change, comment!