Part 17: Purple Heart

After I was done with class I went back to the dorm without telling Gabe where I was going. After the high of kissing him wore off I couldn't have been more embarrassed about what I had said to him. 'I think I could love you too.' Now I sounded like a love struck idiot. I tried to internally blame it on the overwhelming kiss but I knew that I was lying to myself. But I had firmly decided that I would much rather live in denial than risk getting hurt. As if in agreement with my reasoning the scar on my back throbbed unexpectedly.

 I walked into Thomasen hall for what seemed like the first time in weeks and walked up the stairs, absently staring at the brightly colored informational flyers that lined the hallway. There were tons of activities for new freshman, but none of them were things that I really knew anything about or had any experience in. That might have been because I wasn't really allowed to have a hobby when I worked for Floyd, although he was supposedly better than other options for bosses around the city. He allowed me to go to school during the day, which was unusual but he said that there was less chance of his "business" being discovered if we weren't so isolated. I shook myself then. These memories were a sticky mess, and I couldn't take one out and look at it without examining 3 or 4 equally as unpleasant and painful to me. 

Alone in the hallway, I stood in front of my door, shuffling through my backpack for my keychain. I found the key and shoving my loose hair out of my face I glanced at the door and immediately dropped my keys on the ground. My face was frozen in an expression of horror but my mind was going a million miles a minute. In the middle of my door was a plain purple heart. The memories resurfaced without my permission now, and none of them were ones I wanted to think about ever again. The heart was identical to the ones that were placed on the doors that we would take the customers. My head swerved wildly from side to side and my door was the only one with one on it. I reached out with shaking hands and pulled it down, flipping it over to the other side. It was blank, and for some reason that was scarier than if he had simply signed his name on the back. I was having trouble breathing, and I gripped the door frame tightly, trying to calm down. My legs gave out and I slid down the door, resting on the dirty linoleum floors. Suddenly I realized the severity of the situation and shot up from the floor, panic causing me to pull my phone out of my backpack and instinctively dial Gabe's number. The phone rang once, twice, three times until my impatience got the best of me and I hung up, swearing under my breath and speed walking away as quietly as I could. I didn't know where he was, but the heart could only mean one thing. He was close. Suddenly I remembered the texts that I had been getting from the anonymous number. I had been dismissing them with everything that had been going on in the last week, but there was only one person that called me darling. 

I ran out of the hall, until I stopped abruptly. 'Evan, think dammit,' I thought fiercely to myself. There was no way I could get out of this without planning and thinking a little. What Floyd lacked in physical strength, he made up in the amount of people he had working for him and intelligence. There were a few ways I could escape this. I knew he couldn't get into my room without a key, and if he wasn't in the hallway when I was then I could get into my room without any risk. But I could also call Gabe and tell him what happened, he might have an idea what to do. 'You already called him,' my subconscious helpfully reminded me. I ran my hand through my hair one more time and pulled my phone out again, dialing his number one more time. The phone rang and rang until it connected.

"Hey, it's Gabe. I'm busy right now, so call me back later." His recorded voice was enough to send chills down my spine, but it wasn't good enough to calm the terror in my head. I gritted my teeth in frustration and turned on my heel, storming into Thomasen. There was only so much I could do to protect myself, and I had to be careful. I went back to my room, trying to keep an inconspicuous profile while staying alert to anyone I recognized from North Dakota. Floyd had a small crew that did every job for him because it saved costs and decreased the chance of his operation being infiltrated. 

I took the stairs two at a time, ignoring the signs that I had pondered over earlier and scurried down a thankfully open and empty hallway, skidding to a halt in front of my room and jamming the key into the lock aggressively, turning the door handle at the same time. I shut the door behind me and was staring at a thankfully empty room. I knew that Paige was "studying" for an upcoming quiz with John, although I was doubtful how much studying would actually be taking place between the two of them. Based on what the doctor had said about increased attraction in mates and how my self control crumbled despite my best efforts around Gabe it was perfectly understandable that they would get distracted. 

Taking a deep breath, I grabbed my duffel bag out of my closet and started pulling the clothes off of the hangers, stuffing them into the bag randomly. The whole process only took me a few minutes and I was ready to leave in less time than I thought. Standing by the window I surveyed the campus, looking for someone I recognized. If I was going to stay safe I had to keep moving. School could wait, and I was stupid for thinking I could get away that easily.  Suddenly my phone started going off and I ran over, glancing down to the screen and sighing in relief when I saw Gabe's name. I hit the accept button and whispered, "Hello?"

Gabe's voice came over the phone, "Evan? Are you okay? Why are you whispering?"

"Gabe, he found me." There was a moment of silence and suddenly I heard glass shattering and growling come over the phone. "Gabe, I just called to say goodbye." Even as I was saying it I knew that he wasn't going to let that happen, but I had to try.

My suspicions were proved correct when he scoffed into the phone and said, "The hell you are. We already talked about you not running from me. I can keep you safe at the packhouse. I'm on my way over so make sure you have your stuff. And then I'm going to find Floyd and rip his head off." And then the line went dead. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what to do! If you liked the chapter, comment or vote. If you have an suggestions for the story or things I could improve on, let me know! Thank you!

kath