Part 21: Tequila

It was almost dusk when the rest of the pack returned from the training exercises they had been at all day. I could hear the cars pull up in the driveway from my bedroom where I had been hiding out for the past few hours. People were talking and laughing, and when I peeked over the ledge, it seemed like it was mostly kids that were around my age. Everyone was dressed up and they were carrying bottles and food. I even saw a few huge, hulking guys carrying kegs. I groaned under my breath. I wasn't in the mood for a party, but there wasn't anywhere else I could go. Even if I didn't really like where I was staying, or specifically the people I was with, it was the safest place for me. Or so I hoped. 

A knock sounded on my door and Paige poked her head in, with a full face of makeup. She started chuckling when she saw what I had done with the room. In my boredom and to keep myself occupied, the bed had been stripped of all the sheets and blankets and they were now in use as a fort that covered most of my room. 

"What?" I asked defensively. "I was bored!"

"So I take it that your conversation with Gabe didn't go well," she smiled wryly and I groaned.

"No, if anything it made it worse. I want to punch him in the face. Or make out with him. I can't decide, but I'll let you know if I do." I crawled back under my sheet door and laid on the white carpet floor. Paige joined me a moment later, despite wearing in a tiny red lace dress and laid next to me with a grunt.

"How was training today?" I turned slightly towards her and she shrugged.

"Nothing unusual. It was split between fighting in human and wolf forms, so we can be proficient in both. The day usually ends with me sore, but a lot stronger. We do these groups things once every two weeks, but individual training happens everyday, at least in some degree."

"So you could teach me how to fight?" my interest was captured. The thought of defending myself was new and something I felt like I needed to know.

Paige glanced at me out of the corner of her eyes, "Yeah I could. Would you want to start tomorrow?"

"Of course!" I sat up, my tangled hair falling to one side of my head. It was all a matted mess but I couldn't be bothered to care. Paige however, evidently did because she frowned and reached up to push my hair back.

"But first," she slid out of the fort and stood, extending a hand to me to pull me up as well, "but first, we are going to party."

"No, no Paige-" I didn't try that hard to protest as she hauled me out of my room. In truth, I kind of wanted to forget for a while and if alcohol could do that for me, so be it. We marched out of my room and down the hall to what I assumed was her's and John's It was spacious, with light grey walls and a dark blue comforter. She plopped me on the bed and grabbed a brush from the dresser. She started at the bottom of my hair and started gently brushing through all of the tangles. When she was finished, my hair fell down to my waist. I let her pamper me, enjoying the process of her doing my makeup and hair. But when she pulled a dress out of her closet my enjoyment vanished. 

"Hell no. I am not wearing that." I stood and shook my head. It was a deep blue, with a low neckline and would cling to me like a second skin. 

"Please? You would look so amazing in it!" That was certainly true, "but that's not incentive enough for me to wear it."  

"Plus you would make Gabe really jealous!" Well, that probably was the incentive I needed. I scowled fiercely and grabbed the dress from her hand stomping into the bathroom. I shimmied out of my sweatpants and slid the dress up over my hips. Paige was right, I thought sourly, it looked really good. The blue color accented my hair and skin amazingly and set off my eyes. Hopefully she was right about Gabe. I opened the door and Paige's mouth dropped open.

"Ho-ly shit. That is out of control." Was all she said, handing over a pair of tan heels and I just chuckled dryly and rolled my eyes. I could hear the bass thumping and the floor vibrating, indicating the party was already in full swing. 

"Let's just go and get this over with." We walked down the hallway, the music growing louder and louder as we descended the stairs. The room was completely full, with what seemed like hundreds of people crowded around. It smelled like sweat and alcohol and hormones and the stench was overpowering.  There weren't many people I recognized, and the potential for social interaction made me more desperate than ever for a drink. Paige seemed to sense my thinking and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the kitchen. There were less people here, and a lot more alcohol. My eyes landed on a bottle of tequila that was calling out to me and I walked over, pulling Paige with me. She produced shot glasses seemingly by magic and clinking glasses, we swallowed back the bitter liquid. A few times actually. I lost count after 5. My head was feeling thick and my fingers were numb, which was a sure sign that I was completely intoxicated. Paige was feeling it as well, and we both found ourselves on the dance floor, grinding and swiveling our hips to some bass heavy song that was playing over the speakers. 

Suddenly I could feel his eyes on me. My own eyes darted around, all the while dancing. Then I saw him, perched on a stool. His button up shirt was undone a ridiculous amount, something I normally would find cheesy and slightly overdone, but it looked absolutely scrumptious tonight. Natalie was sitting next to him, trying to get his attention, but his eyes were completely focused on my body. I could feel them scorching my hips. I ran my hands down my body and he closed his eyes, scrunching them closed like he was in pain. I was spinning around to the music when I felt strong hands cinch my hips. Gabe growled, "Fuck, Evan." The sparks were magnified by a million and I leaned back into him grinding and moving to the music. His lips were traveling up my neck and his hands were moving on my body, and I was losing myself to the music and then my memory was gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcohol is never a good idea, especially where mates are involved and I think Evan is about to realize that...

Vote and comment if you like it or if you have any suggestions! Thank you!

kath