Part 12: A Hearty Breakfast

"Gabe! What the hell is this?!" I was staring at my side in the mirror above the bathroom sink, glaring at the large mark that swirled across my shoulder and down onto my shoulder blade. 

Gabe strolled in, completely shirtless. I stared at his defined muscles and fought the urge to drool a little. It wasn't that I wasn't attracted to him before, but according to the pack doctor at my checkup this morning the mark made him even more irresistible. Something about the mate pull, but at that point during the discussion I was blushing too hard to keep talking about it. I belatedly realized I had been zoned out on his abs for far longer than was necessary and I blushed, slowly raising my eyes to see his amused gaze.

"What were you saying sweetheart?" he smirked.  I brought my attention back to the present, and the reason I was so upset in the first place. Yanking my shirt up to expose the mark, I stared accusingly at him and he scratched the back of his neck.

"Do you care to explain this?" I looked down. The mark was a deep purple, almost black. Originating from the original bite mark, the lines swirled down my arm, creating designs like waves. It was beautiful, but it showed up overnight and it was a bit of a surprise. 

"That would be the finished mark. I guess it took longer to show up on you because your body tried to reject it," he blushed at the end and shuffled his feet. I just raised an eyebrow and turned my attention back to the offending mark, pursing my lips. A shriek left my mouth when I realized that Gabe was suddenly standing right next to me. I turned to slap his chest but he grabbed my hand in his giant one before I could, pulling it up to his lips and sending a delicious wave of shivers down my spine. I blushed and pulled my hand away somewhat reluctantly.

He frowned slightly, "I think you look beautiful you know." He pulled me into his warm chest while I tried to fight the wave of emotion that had swept over me. He knew exactly what I was thinking, and even if I didn't believe him, it meant a lot that he said that. Fighting the tears that had sprung up, I wrapped my arms around him and felt him stiffen in surprise, then pull me even closer. We stood like that for a while, and I realized that it was one of the first hugs I had gotten in a very long time. It felt nice.

"Okay, let's get ready for class," I was the first to break the hug. Gabe reluctantly compiled and I walked over to the small duffel bag that Paige had brought me from school. The sad thing was that it was most of my clothes. I just shrugged and pulled out a pair of faded jeans that were ripped from use rather than fashion and a gray t-shirt. Throughout the last year I had been subconsciously buying clothes that were incredibly plain, and usually dark in color. I felt like I could blend in easier with dark colors. I struggled into the jeans and pulled my shirt over my head, exposing my scar. 

I heard a low growl from behind me and I jumped, "What is on your back?" I slowly turned and was met with furious yellow eyes. I stammered out, "Nothing!"

Gabe strode across the room, and gently placing his hands on my shoulders, turned me around, moving my long black hair to the side fully exposing the scar I had tried so valiantly to hide. The scar itself was almost a foot long and 2 inches wide, moving in a smooth diagonal line across my back. It was still a bright pink, indicating that it had finished healing very recently. "Evan, what the hell is this?" Gabe wasn't angry, but incredibly sad. He ran his finger down my exposed back just under the scar, sending a shiver down my spine.

"It's just a symbol of what I left behind me," I willed my voice to remain steady, even as a tear slipped down my cheek. 

"But this, this should have killed you!" He turned me around and pulled me into his chest again. Kissing the top of my head, he paused and said, "You don't have to tell me right now, but eventually we have to talk about you."

He didn't say my past, but I knew that was what he was referring to. I nodded into his chest and then pulled away, pulling the shirt over my head and gathering my hair into a low ponytail on the nape of my neck. Gabe emerged after a few minutes wearing jeans and a gray shirt. I chuckled, "We're matching." He smiled at me and gently tugged the ends of my ponytail, then exited the room. I grabbed my bag and walked down the stairs, following him. The pack-house was full of activity. There were a lot of people my age running around, getting ready for the day, but when Gabe passed by they all bowed their heads respectfully. Everyone was very friendly, a few telling me good morning and most of them smiling at me. I was in a great mood when we entered the kitchen where a buffet was set up. Gabe grabbed two plates for him and I and started loading them up with eggs, bacon, and pancakes despite my repeated insistence that I wasn't that hungry. 

"You need to eat." That's all he would say before putting something else on my plate. Eventually I was able to pull him away from the food to the long table. There was an ornate chair at the end of the table that Gabe confidently walked towards, with me following quietly. Gabe sat and put the plate of food in the seat next to him on the right. I smiled and moved forward, but before I could sit, I was shoved out of the way by a very tan, tall blonde who sat in front of the food and seductively laid a hand on his arm. My fists were clenched, and I had to take several deep breaths to stop myself from launching at her. Gabe, to his credit, looked utterly confused. He even stopped shoveling food into his mouth for a second. But he wasn't taking her hand off his arm. 'Maybe I shouldn't be so reserved, maybe he would like me better,' I thought miserably.

"Gabey baby! I haven't seen you in what feels like forever!" she trilled in a voice that was probably meant to be flirtatious. 'It's not like you know what that's like,' my subconscious helpfully reminded me. I looked around the dining hall and realized that the entire hall was staring us silently. Paige, sitting on John's lap, was staring furiously at the offending girl like she was going to yank her hair out.

"Um, hey Natalie," he said, his mouth full of eggs. I mentally rolled my eyes. Charming. 

"We should spend some time together soon," she ended with a wink and a subtle glare in my direction. I blushed and turned away quietly. I couldn't hear the rest of this conversation without going ballistic on one of them or both of them. I started walking away and met Paige and John at the door. Paige was staring at Natalie like she couldn't quite believe what she was seeing, and John just looked uncomfortable. I blushed and muttered to them, "Could I have a ride to school please?" 

John nodded and turned around heading out to his car, muttering something about 'hormonal females,' while Paige leaned in and whispered, "Do you want me to kill her for you?" I chuckled dryly and turned back to the pair of them. They were engaged in conversation, leaning close to each other, and Natalie was eating my food. I grimaced and turned back to Paige.

"I might just do it myself. Let's go before that happens," and walked out the door without looking back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooh, Evan is getting feisty. As usual, if you liked the chapter, favorite! If you see something you really like or something that I should change, comment! Share with your friends! Thank you!

kath