Women's Roles in the War: Dauntless

The annoying sun shined its magnificent rays onto my eyelids, ushering for me to wake up. I shook my head in defiance and turned a bit to the side. Even though the sun's rays weren't directly onto my eyes, the light was still too bright for me to handle. I groaned in frustration, rolled back to my original position, and closed my eyelids tighter in an attempt to drown out the sun's light.

    "Why do you do this to me?" I growled, still tired.

    As if the sun heard my remark, it shone brighter, and I was soon not able to fall back asleep. I succumbed to the sun's orders and rolled out of bed and onto the floor. I then rose and made my way to the bathroom to rinse out my hair. Somehow, whenever my hair was wet, it seemed to coiled into clusters of tight, shiny ringlets that eventually faded away by evening.

    Today was the day I started my business of being a spy for the Northern troops.

***.

    After being kicked out of the Northern army, I haven't been able to see Milo or the triplets much. They barely sent me letters, which pained me a bit. One side of me understood that they barely had time to write letters, but another side of my conscience told me that they had intermissions between drills, which was plenty of time to write me even a small letter.

    I wonder how Asher, Arthur, and Atlas felt after my "gender reveal". I hope that they'll still be friends with me if we ever see each other again.

    ***

    Once I finished changing the texture of my hair, I made my way toward my closet to change into my clothes for the day.

I admired my new closet, only 2 outfits folded inside its drawers. I pulled out the top drawer and reached for my signature purple cardigan. I hesitated and drew my hand back, knowing that I couldn't wear it today.

    I had an outfit that I made just for doing my "work", A long-sleeved black dress that puffed out into a large, irresistible skirt. I had to make sure that the men in the army felt comfortable in my presence, so I can listen in on their conversations.

    I didn't usually choose to wear a dress on a casual day, but when it involved helping my nation, I was willing to wear whatever.

    I slipped into the slightly uncomfortable dress and made my way outside my new apartment that I shared with my two friends who were also spies in the Civil War.

    Before leaving my room, I added a black eyepatch to my white eye. If anyone was able to see my two different-colored eyes, they'd easily know that it was me, Evangeline Freebourne. After putting on my small eyepatch, I combed a part of my hair over it, making it seem like I didn't even wear an eyepatch at all.

    I leaned over to the nightstand to my left and opened the small drawer. What was inside was a small golden pendant with an eagle engraved in the middle, its wings spread out magnificently. It represented my obvious bravery in any situation, and how I'd risk my life for even a stranger whom I've never met.

    I headed down the small staircase and turned into the front foyer, where my friends stood.

    Naomi stood on the left, her jet-black hair elegantly tied into a perfect dutch braid that ran from the top of her hairline to the ends of her hair. She sported a small, athletic frame, and she was ruthless. For years, she held a bad reputation. She was wanted in nearly all of the Southern states since she murdered wealthy plantation owners. For our little spy nicknames, she called herself Infamous.

    Amber, who stood next to Naomi, always putting her curly, blonde hair into a high ponytail, making her hair look like a cute little poof on the back of her head. She wore a puffy beige dress with lace around her chest, at the end of her medium-length sleeves, and the bottom of her long, puffy skirt. The waist of her dress was tied corset-style, as was Naomi's. Her face and body were long and slim, giving her a gentle, soft appearance, and she earned the nickname of Patience. The only feature about her that didn't appear gentle was her eyes. They were a sharp, icy blue that showed pure madness.