The Surrender at Appomattox: A Calm Meeting

After leaving my mother's house, Johnathan and I sprinted for the next supply train, since we wanted to get to Virginia in the fastest and cheapest way possible. After leaping into an empty train car, we quickly dozed off into a much-needed sleep.

***

"Who are these people?"

"Why are they on this supply train?"

"They certainly don't look like soldiers..."

"Wait, are they..."

I slowly blinked awake, and I noticed four Union soldiers hovering over Johnathan and I. I screamed in surprise, sat up, and scooted backward in defense. Once I had enough time to study the soldiers' identity, I smiled after figuring out who they were.

"Milo! Asher!" I cheered as I glanced toward my friends who were both beaming at me.

I turned around toward the other two soldiers next to Milo and Asher. "Arthur! Atlas!"

"What, who-" Johnathan just woke up but stopped speaking when he saw who was in front of him.

"Oh my god, hey everyone!" He cheered. "Why are you all here?"

Asher crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. "It was General Grant's orders. He heard that the Confederates were getting in supply trains on this railroad to get to the Amelia Courthouse, so we're trying to find as many Confederate soldiers as we can."

Asher shrugged. "I'm not sure why General Grant wants us to do this, but we obviously have to follow his orders."

I placed my hand to my chin in thought. "Oh, now I see why you guys are here then."

Milo nodded and smiled. "Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you two are going to have to get off."

"Why?" Johnathan asked, his eyelids droopy after waking up from his power nap.

Arthur rolled his eyes and replied for Milo. "Other Union soldiers can come in here and think that you're Confederates-even though Evangeline's a woman. They might think she's a spy."

I crossed my arms at his remark. Even though Asher was probably true, I didn't like how some people chose to rush to conclusions whenever meeting a stranger for the first time.

Johnathan and I both rose at the same time and we headed for the edge of the train car, the small farmhouses and rolling hills passing by.

"It was nice seeing you guys!" I waved to them.

"Nice seeing you too!" Milo cheered as he gestured for the triplets to follow him out of the train.

I cupped my hands to my mouth, hoping to gain my friends' attention. "Guys, I hope that we can meet up soon!"

Before they could answer, Johnathan and I already leaped off of the moving train car. The four of them ran toward the edge and glanced outside, and they saw Johnathan and I roll on the grass, and once we gained a sense of our new surroundings, my friends happily waved to me.

Johnathan and I smiled and waved back to them, but by the time we waved back at them, they were already disappearing into the horizon.

***

A few days later, Johnathan and I finally arrived in Appomattox, Virginia. The town's lush green scenery greeted us, lightening our mood after walking the rest of the way to the small Virginian town.

***

After making our way through Appomattox, Johnathan caught sight of Colonel Chamberlain.

"Hurry," he whispered to me. "We gotta find a bathroom and change into our old Union uniforms."