Emancipation Proclamation: At Last

Once soft, gentle rays of light seeped into my eyes, I knew that the timid sun wanted me to wake up. At first, I resisted, and I pulled the covers over my head, but it was too late.

    I threw the blanket off of my head and sat up to see Johnathan and Milo sleeping soundly next to me in our small tent that was hidden in the forest. I crawled out of bed and tried my best not to disturb the two, but Johnathan escaped his slumber as soon as I crawled out of bed.

    Johnathan rubbed his temples in exhaustion. "Ugh I'm so tired. What time is it?"

    I stepped outside of the tent and used my hands and the sun's position to tell time. "Wait, when does the sun set?"

    Milo was the next to speak, as he woke up just in time to hear my question. "The sun sets at around eighteen hours."

    "Alrighty," I replied as I placed my hands on top of each other. I kept stacking them upward until I hit the sun, which was on the other side of the horizon. "It's around eight o'clock right now."

    I crawled back into the tent only to see Johnathan's distressed expression plastered to his face. "Well, I need to leave now!"

    He began packing his things as quickly as he could, and his backpack quickly became messy and stuffed with his items.

    I snatched Johnathan's backpack from his hands and began unpacking its contents. "Johnathan, why do you need to leave so bad?"

    He gave up on trying to fight me for his backpack and slumped his shoulders, trying to relax. "Well, I really need to see Jade right now, I'm a little homesick. Wouldn't you understand? It's a little hard being away from your twin for so much time."

    In fact, I didn't necessarily understand Johnathan. When I was thirteen, I probably would since Evan and I were inseparable. Now, on the other hand, I don't necessarily miss Evan that much because of what he has done to me over the last few years.

    Evan came to Kansas to sway the slavery vote, he pushed me out of his sight when we finally reunited, and he went as far as shooting his own twin sister in the leg, causing me to get it amputated.

    "I guess I understand," I lied to Johnathan, trying to make him feel better. "But I really don't want you to go alone. Can I come see Jade too?"

    Johnathan's face reddened to the color of a bright tomato, and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Oh, really? Sure!"

    "What am I, chopped liver?" Milo asked, his arms crossed in irritation.

    "Well, uh," I stammered. "Didn't you say that you knew where Asher, Arthur, and Atlas are? You should find them."

    Milo placed his hand onto his chin and stroked it in thought. "Actually when I come to think of it, yeah. Yeah, I know where those weirdos are. They're in Georgia somewhere, and I can survive the trip."

    I smiled, revealing my radiant white teeth that almost seemed to light up our small tent. "Good."

    After my final statement, the three of us began to pack up our things: our tent, our food, our bed, and extra clothes. After a few minutes of packing our items, we finally finished.

    I stood up and wiped the sweat off of my forehead. "So, I guess that this is where we part ways?"

    "I guess so, Evan," He held out his hand for me to shake.

    I firmly placed my hand in his palm and shook it, and then Milo and Johnathan exchanged handshakes.

    I waved Milo goodbye as he disappeared into the dense forest. "I hope I get to see you again soon, Milo!"