Coach

"Kahkahkah!" Fareez has been laughing for 20 minutes straight. His attitude is weird. A genius, but weird. Detective Hazim who is sitting beside him is also trying to keep the laugh to himself. Coughing as a way to hide the laugh. Syahmi looked at both of them. His right eyebrow is raised looking at their attitude. You like that, huh? If I beat both of you up you'll be begging for mercy.

Since they started sitting at the cafe, he has been a joke to both of them. The topic of their discussion? A battle between Syahmi and Detective Hazim at the field. I know I lost. But you don't have to joke about me. Fine, today is your today. One day it'll be mine. Syahmi knows he has tried his best during the battle. But he knows, Detective Hazim is not his match. He still has a lot to learn.

Syahmi massaged his own shoulders. Then his head. He tip - toed into the cafe. Behind his stern face, I didn't know he likes giving bad jokes. Well atleast his bad jokes are funny.

"Okay, okay. That's enough. We'll continue tomorrow." said Detective Hazim. They stopped laughing. Tired of it now. The waiters came with their orders. Syahmi - fried mee without vegetables and orange juice. Fareez - mee hun soup with lemon tea. Detective Hazim - claypot mee with hot coffee.

"We'll talk seriously now, okay?" Syahmi and Fareez listen attentively. While eating while listening.

"Okay, so I lost. Now what?" asked Syahmi.

Detective Hazim took a sip of his coffee before talking. "As written in the deal. You lose, you must help me. I need your talent. Your skills."

Syahmi continued eating.

"But I didn't say if you lose, I'll not tell anything about your dad." Syahmi stopped chewing for a while. Looking at Detective Hazim who is taking off his black glasses. That's his first time watching Detective Hazim's full face. It's quiet weird and awkward.

"Shamsudin. We call him Sam."

Syahmi put his spoon and fork beside his plate.

"He is one tough police. The best I knew."

"Eh? Police? My father works as a cook. I think you got the wrong person?" Syahmi interrupts.

"No. He was a cook. But before that, he was a police. He stopped because of several reasons."

Syahmi did not know about that. In his life, he thought his father was just a cook. Not more than that.

"Woah?! Seriously?!" Fareez interrupts. He already finished his mee hun soup. Less than 5 minutes!

"He stopped. But four years ago, we need to ask him for help. That time you are still studying overseas. You're just Syahmi. No offence. That time you're just a normal human. And that time, we really needed Sam." continued Detective Hazim.

"That time.. is the first time the police managed to find Cobra?" Fareez asked. Detective Hazim nodded.

"Sam, me, and two others. We're one team. One is left for a reserve. That's the rules back then. And during that time, you can call us the best agents in Malaysia. Because Cobra is a Malaysian, the burden goes onto us. Sam felt something weird about Cobra. He's a thief, that's one thing. But there's something else." Detective Hazim sips on his coffee.

Syahmi nodded and asked again. "Then?"

"We made it to the finals. We must go to the finals. Or not, we can't meet that guy. During the finals, we battled his team. The final match is between Sam and Cobra. Sam won but Cobra fled. Sam chased after him, then both of them are nowhere to be found."

"What?!"

"They dissapeared. We searched the whole premise. He's nowhere to be found. But what's important, Sam went lost when he was chasing Cobra. So if we want to know more about your dad, we need to find Cobra. That's because I want you to join this tournament, Syahmi. Who else will be searching for him rather than his own son? His only son." explained Detective Hazim.

"Why on Earth didn't you told us earlier? Why didn't you told me my father went missing just now? If you told us, I didn't have to fight you. What a waste of energy."

"I don't know. I just wanna have fun. I want to see your determination too. Your attitude is the same as Sam. You don't care who is blocking your way, you' still fight. But don't let anger control you. Anything can happen. Win, lose is not in our control. That's what you need to get rid off. Sam has all of that. His anger is his slave, not vice versa. That's why he's the best." Detective Hazim gave some motivational quotes.

"Em.. Detective. What's the name of the tournament again?" asked Fareez.

"Oh yeah. Forgot to tell you. This tournament is called MAUT." Fareez choked on his water. Syahmi patted his back to give him comfort? MAUT? What kind of name is that?

"Martial Arts Underground Tournament - MAUT. This tournament is not open to everyone. It's like an illegal race but martial arts style. You get the point right?" explained Detective Hazim.

"An underground tournament? Which means it's illegal? Didn't the police did anything about this?" asked Syahmi.

"About that, I don't know. Some things are better left unsaid."

"How is tournament like, actually?" asked Fareez.

"A bit unique. They do it at someplace hidden. And their location is different every four years."

"How many times has it been done?"

"I don't know about that. The first time the Special Unit knew about this was about four years ago."

"So how do we know where and when this tournament will be held?" Fareez asks again.

"Only chosen people will get the invitation anonymously. There they include the date, time, place with terms and conditions. Four years ago, we have an informer that can get all those information. The only way we can catch Cobra and find Sam is to join this tournament." continued Detective Hazim.

"The prizes?" Fareez is not satisfied. He sipped his lemon tea. Detective Hazim finished his coffee before continuing. "During the last time we won, we got 1 million." Fareez choked again.

"1 million?" Syahmi felt amazed. He finishes his orange juice.

"1 million US Dollars to be specific." Pfffttttt! Syahmi and Fareez spitted out their drinks. The table is now wet with their drinks. A waiter came to wipe their table. Syahmi and Fareez can't stop saying sorry to her. Embarrassed. Detective Hazim covered his mouth with his hand. Keeping his laugh.

Syahmi and Fareez looked at Detective Hazim. "Seriously?!"

Detective Hazim nodded. "Yup. But the rules and prizes can change according to the organizer." Syahmi and Fareez looked at eachother. "So what do you think?"

"If this is the only way to find my dad. I will do it." Syahmi looked at his friend. "Fareez?"

"Well, I like challenges and I'm more to strategic than strength. I also felt what Syahmi felt. Losing one of his loved ones. I understand." Detective Hazim asked because he never saw Fareez in action.

"But, can Fareez fight?"

Fareez felt he is teased. "Hey, this guy even though he eats a lot, he knows how to maintain a healthy body you know? Never mind. You'll see me in action soon enough." Fareez tried to defend himself. Syahmi and Fareez laughed.

"Well, that's great. I hope you keep your promise. So you guys are okay with this?"

Syahmi nodded. Fareez gave a thumbs up as a sign he agreed.

"Okay then. I'll be fighting alongside you. From now on, call me coach."