A Saucerful of Floyd Part 7: "Tell Us About Yourself"

"So, why don't you tell us about yourself." Roger said, leaning a bit forward, making the beginning of this conversation painfully awkward. This was a few mates hanging out-not a job interview, Roger. "okay, so my name is Skyler and Im originally from Cambridge-" "hey, me too, mate" Syd said happily in his daze. I smiled over at him and continued. "but I had to move to the United States when I was five because my parents split. I moved back over here so I could move closer to what I call my home, well those were the two major moves, I've never had a permanent setting." I stopped to take a sip of my tea, which was a bad idea- it hadn't steeped long enough. I felt my face twist a bit and Richard giggled at my expression. "I have a sister who is here at camp- my mom wanted me to come with her for some reason, I still dont know why." Nick leaned back and crossed one leg over the other, taking a more relaxed posture. "How do you know David" Nick asked . "Well, we had been at a camp like this a while back and I guess we've kept in touch since then"I looked over at him to see if there was anything he wanted to add. When he didn't I turned to face the group, taking another sip of my tea.

We talked and joked for a while till it was about 30 minutes till they went on. "Would you like to come back after the show?" Roger asked. I felt happy he finally talked to me, not at me. Syd's eyes lit up as if he was a child getting a lollipop. Roger's face seemed annoyed but his eyes said he was concerned for his friend. In the short time I had been with them I had noticed a very interesting dynamic with Roger and Syd. They were almost a father and son would be, but not as exaggerated. Whatever it was, it was peculiar. Syd looked at roger with admiration and trust. And Roger gazed upon him with loyalty and devotion, but also extreme gentleness. "Yes, please do!" Syd said, still smiling at me. "I'd be glad to, Syd" I said to him, then glanced up at Roger who smiled a little and nodded.

••|••

Happy Birthday David!!