Johnny Visits His Father

Johnny stepped into the visiting room, showered and in a fresh change of clothes, and in one layer of said clothes. I don't wanna keep moving around town without getting into something lighter, he had thought to himself. Waiting for the guards to escort his father felt like an eternity, and when he came in, Johnny perked up, and began to feel all the worry of the day already start to dissipate.
       His father, on the other hand, didn't look as well. He looked rueful until he saw who had come to see him. "Johnny!" he blurted, easily shaking his arms from the guards' grip, running over to the window and picking up the phone. "Hey!" he said excitedly. "Where were ya? I've been waitin' all day!"
       Johnny chuckled. "Well, you'll never believe what happened. You remember the theater you came to see me at a few weeks ago?"
       "Yeah? What of it?" His dad's accent seemed even more full due to his deep and powerful voice.
       "Well this really rich lady, Mrs. Noodleman, bought the place and completely remodeled it!"
       "Funny name," Dad said, smiling and resting his head in his palm. He didn't seem to be focusing on the conversation too much.
       "Yeah, but what's important is that there was an opening ceremony. And that's where I was today," Johnny finished, lightly hitting the table with his free fist.
       "Alright, glad to know you're okay. You were beginnin' to worry me a little."
       "Dad, you know me. It's Johnny, the son of one of the most powerful gangs in the city."
       Dad eyed Johnny furtively. "You're also a theater geek."
       Johnny mocked an angry face. "Hey, if you want a theater geek, talk to Buster Moon, not me."
       "You're still a total ninny."
       "Come on, Dad, have some faith.."
       They spoke for a little longer before finally coming to the subject Johnny came for.
       "Oh, right. Have you been eatin' properly?" Johnny's dad inquired. Johnny sat still, mouth open, about to form a word for a second before uncomfortably murmuring, "Iiiif ramen and cereal count as proper?" and giggling awkwardly. Johnny's father actually looked a little offended. "Are you kidding me?" he almost whispered.
       Johnny coughed. "Um, no?"
       Dad groaned. "Listen, I've got a friend in town, his name's Dylan. He's a natural chef. I'd teach you, but.." he motioned to his orange prison jumpsuit. Johnny chuckled in spite of the thought that his father might be in here for 30 years and thanked his dad. "Also, is that my shirt you're wearing?" Dad pointed to the white muscle shirt Johnny wore. "Yeah, sorry. I had no other clean shirts."
       "Heheh, no problem. You look okay in it, even if it's way too big on you."
       Johnny looked down and realized quickly that he could see his entire torso through the collar of his shirt. He suddenly felt a little embarrassed. Seeing his concern, Dad reassured him, saying "It's not..that revealing."
       "Oh, thanks, Dad."
       "But really, Dylan works right across the street from the garage. When you go, tell him Big Daddy sent you."
       "Alright, thanks, Dad." Johnny moved to hang up the phone, as time for visiting was dwindling, but he heard his dad say, "One more thing." Johnny lifted the receiver back to his ear.
       "Mmhmm?"
       "I love you, son."
       Johnny grinned. "I love you too, Dad. I'll see you tomorrow," he said softly and hung up the phone. He couldn't help but smile sadly at his father behind the glass as he walked out.