Johnny And His Father Have A Real Talk

Johnny and Mike appeared in the visiting room to, as you'd have it, visit.
       "You seriously had better not act like you're hiding something this time," Johnny warned as they entered.
       "I know, I know, you already told me, what, 12 times?"
       "It was 3 times."
       "Who cares, lay off me, kid."
       Johnny sat down as Mike jumped up on the table in a huff and shook off some lint from his usual pinstriped suit. "I just.. really want Dad to like you.." Johnny mumbled. The mouse turned around and gave him a strange look. Johnny's face was drawn, and he looked away from Mike, obviously a little upset. He knew Mike was always the prickly type, but he finally knew people who wouldn't double cross him at the turn of a dime. He wanted his father to partake in his happiness. "Uh, em.." Mike began to stutter before Johnny's dad came in.
       Dad came in without handcuffs or even a guard to escort him, aside from the one who held the door open for him. Johnny noticed and asked slyly into the receiver as his dad picked up, "I wonder what you did to get that treatment." His dad half smiled, confused. "Hi to you too."
       Johnny saw right away that his father was not in a stellar mood. "You okay, Dad?" he asked, looking up into his dad's tired eyes through the glass. The older gorilla cleared his throat. "Uh, yeah, nothing talking to my son couldn't fix! I mean.. well.."
       Johnny sat and waited.
       "I've just been missing you and the garage. Have you been taking care of it?"
       "Of course. Just as well as you taught me."
       Dad smiled sincerely. "That's my boy. But uh..you've been.. moving on."
       "Huh?"
       "You've got a clean job. You've got friends who care about you. You've even been on TV. You're doing stuff with your life, and.." Johnny saw a tear well up in his father's eye. "And I haven't been able to see any of it.."
       "Dad, I.."
       "And worse yet, you started looking up after I got arrested."
       Johnny went silent. Mike slipped back into the gorilla's pocket.
       Johnny's dad hiccupped and his voice wavered. "I'm so sorry, son. I've been a horrible father to you." Johnny reached forward to take his dad's arm, and accidentally cracked a finger against the window. The young gorilla took a high breath as tears welled up in his eyes, not from physical pain. "Dad, I didn't mean to make you sad. I uh.." He tried to think of what to say next. "D-don't cry, I forgive you. Oh shoot, now I'm gonna cry." He raised his free hand to wipe away tears before they started running down his face.
       Eventually, Johnny's dad breathed deeply as he recomposed himself and laughed. "No dad should be crying like a kid in front of his own kid. Sorry 'bout that." Johnny dried the remaining tears and chuckled along. "It's okay."
       The two sat in silence for a while before Johnny finally spoke up. "I'm gonna get you out of here. All this that I'm doing is to get you out."
       Mike chimed in. "Not all."
       Johnny looked at him weird, then realized what was up. "Oh, yeah. I'm doing it partially for food, but most of the money's gonna go to your bail." Johnny was lost in logistics before noticing his dad's beaming face. "You're the best son a miserable jailbird could have," he croaked into the phone.
       Johnny smiled gently. "You're not miserable. You're my father."
       Dad's voice shook just a bit. "I love you so much, Johnny," he said, pressing his hand against the glass. Johnny wanted to hug his dad through the cold barrier. "I love you too."

...

       "Don't cry again."
       "I'm not crying again!" the older gorilla laughed, then sat up. "See, what'd I tell ya? I knew talking to my son would cheer me up." Johnny grinned and glanced over at Mike, who now sat on the edge of the table, twiddling his thumbs. "What?" he bristled. "How am I supposed to relax when I've got apes falling apart around me?" The gorilla chuckled and poked Mike's cheek, but the mouse backed away. "Kn-knock it off."
       As they entered the garage, Johnny said sort of absently, "We oughta find you a real place to sleep."
       "No, I think your bed'll work," the mouse remarked. "I mean, I'd only fall between the cushions of that couch, and there's not much else. Oh."
       "What?"
       Mike turned apologetically to Johnny. "About what I said earlier, about how I acted with your dad, uh.. That was a little rude of me. Normally I'd tell a guy to suck it up and quit acting like a baby, but I know how much your time with your dad means to you, so... I'm sorry." Johnny chuckled. "It's alright. That was a little childish of me."
       The mouse folded his arms. "Anything more shallow and I'll sock ya in the mouth," he stated with fake aggression in his voice and winked. The gorilla laughed.