Johnny Returns to Practice

As three twenty mounted on him, Johnny stepped through the glass doors of the New Moon Theater. He noted on his way in that the letters on the theater's advertising sign had been changed, and now read "REHEARSALS 3:30 PM."
The gorilla couldn't help tensing a bit at the new property's clean, untouched air. This doesn't feel the same at all, he worried, wondering if the stark difference from the old theater's mustiness might affect his singing ability.
       Upon entering the auditorium, though, he was right away comforted by the presence of Mr. Moon and Ash, talking amongst themselves at the terminus of the incline. Both animals glanced up, and Johnny ran down the ramp to greet them. "You seem chipper today," Johnny quipped at the porcupine, who adjusted her quills. "Yeah, I wasn't doing so hot yesterday." Mr. Moon slipped past Johnny and tapped the gorilla's calf as he passed. "Good to see you, Johnny."
       "S-same here, Mr. Moon," he stuttered, then, turning back to the porcupine, continued. "Do you mind telling me what was wrong?" The girl sighed agitatedly. "My ex is...bothering me."
       "How so?"
       "I think he got dumped by his new girl or something, because he's started texting me again, and he's really ticking me off."
The gorilla sat down in a theater seat and folded his arms. "He's rebounding, big time."
Ash's hands clenched into fists. "I know he is! And that's what makes it even more infuriating, because I thought Lance was better than that, you know!?" She struggled angrily up into a seat beside Johnny.
"Are you okay, Ash?" Meena squeaked as she walked cautiously around the corner to a seat near the pair. Ash sighed again. "Yeah, I'm fine, whatever."
Johnny wasn't too concerned. As far as he knew, Ash's ex-boyfriend was harmless. But he was prepared to protect his friend in case anything worse might happen.
       Ten minutes later, everyone had assembled, and Mr. Moon was showing each performer to their rehearsal spots. As the koala cheerily pointed and ordered, Johnny took a closer look at his song list. There were several he knew on there, as well as a few he didn't, and half of them wanted Johnny to play piano. Now, the gorilla wasn't above doing as his superiors suggested, but he really disliked his piano skills. A week after he had played "I'm Still Standing" at the last performance, he had forgotten how to play it due to cramming it into his brain in only a week. He hated that too.
       Now in his rehearsal room, a sort of waiting room near Buster's own office chosen for him because of the piano(You can tell Mrs. Noodleman took special care in observing Mr. Moon's design choices), Johnny sat hunched on the piano stool, waiting on Ms. Crawly to enter.
He eventually heard the click of a knob, and looked up to see Mr. Moon pushing away the door. Noticing Johnny's surprised expression, the koala laughed. "What? This is my workspace too." As his boss turned to go into his office, Johnny realized he actually hadn't received any confirmation on Ms. Crawly's arrival. In fact, he had just expected it from his rehearsals at the old property. "Is Ms. Crawly coming up?"
       Buster pivoted on a heel. "Did you need more piano lessons?"
"Uh, no, sir. I just was wondering."
"Right on, John." the koala snapped and pointed a finger gun at the gorilla before walking off again.
       Johnny silently "Yesss"ed at the thought of not having to play piano right away and got to work looking up some songs on his list. The first one was a song called "Sweet Dreams." He looked it up, assuming it would be some sort of sappy love song, as his boss wanted to sell the "big soulful guy" look, but it turned out to be what he defined as a more abstract 80s technopop track. It was also incredibly catchy.
       As he went to look up another, he heard Mr. Moon's voice. "Hey, Johnny? Come here." Johnny reported immediately and was met with that same absent-of-charisma Buster he'd seen the day before, hands folded on his desk. "Is everything alright, sir?" Johnny asked.
       "Well, sit down first."
       He did.
       "So, like I said the other day, I heard about your dad and I apologize again for not finding out sooner."
       Johnny smiled. "We're alright, really."
       Buster persisted. "Johnny, my dad passed away a few years ago. Sure, your dad isn't, you know, dead, but chances are, he's gonna be in there for a good 30 years, and I'm sure having him gone for so much of your life will definitely be hard. I..really don't want to see one of my performers going through what I had to without doing something about it, so if there's any way I can help, don't hesitate to tell me, okay?"
       The gorilla blinked, and scratched his head. He didn't expect to be getting any offers of help from anyone. This was a surprise, and he didn't quite know how to act. Sure, he was overjoyed that someone would do what Mr. Moon was doing, but the thing is, it was Mr. Moon doing it. Before he knew it, Buster had come around the desk. "You okay?" he asked cautiously. Johnny suddenly reached down and grabbed the koala in a hug. "I don't know how I can thank you," the gorilla finally said as he held his boss tighter. Buster laughed. "Just saying it is fine." After being put down, he straightened his shirt. "I'm your boss, but I want to be your friend, too. And friends should be expected to help each other." He smiled up at the nineteen year old, whose face flushed in embarrassment, realizing he had just picked up and hugged his boss. "Y-you're not mad?"
       "No, not a bit! Now get practicing! I look forward to seeing what song you choose!"
       Johnny's mouth slowly formed a grin. "Yessir!" he called before accidentally slamming the door behind him.