Don't Worry About Me, Please

Mike woke up with a start. He chewed on nothing a few times, and sighed when he realized he had slept in his clothes and that they were wrinkly beyond belief. Thank goodness he hadn't been wearing his pinstripe suit. The tv was playing Saturday morning cartoons.
       Johnny was at the stove, cooking what smelled like bacon. When he heard Mike roll off the couch, he glanced back and smiled a bit. "Sleep well?"
       Mike wiped his eyes groggily. "Mmmyeah." He dragged his feet over to Johnny and leaned on the gorilla's leg. Johnny looked down with raised eyebrows. Mike looked up tiredly, but was confused by Johnny's own confused gaze. "Little touchy, aren't we today?" the gorilla smiled. Mike was confused further, but he smiled back and nodded a bit.
       "What's that you're makin'?" His eyes gestured in the direction of the pan Johnny manned.
       "Bacon."
       "I guessed iiit.." Mike trailed off and let himself fall to the ground. Johnny chuckled.
       Maybe Johnny doesn't remember, the mouse wondered melancholically.
       Johnny recalled a weird dream he'd had the night before. In it, he and Mike had kissed. Now he enjoyed Mike's company greatly, but he knew he didn't like men. Now, Mike's behavior was making him question that dream a bit. It felt so...real. The feeling of Mike's lips on his didn't seem fabricated at all. That couldn't happen though. Too many things were against it. He put those thoughts aside before they got out of hand and focused on what was happening right in front of him: breakfast.
       He put two plates on the table, a normal sized one and a saucer, and the pair sat down. The meal was uncommonly quiet. Normally, Johnny would get things going in terms of conversation, but today he was quiet, other than asking how the food tasted. Mike couldn't stay silent for too long and eventually spoke without thinking. "So, Johnny.. Umm, why were we asleep on the couch?" The boy jumped at the mouse's voice. "We watched that mystery show last night. Remember the the kid in the dark mirror world?"
       "Oh, yeah, uh huh."
       "I must have fallen asleep watching it. As for why you slept on me, I couldn't say."
       Mike's heart sank. "Welp, I must have fallen asl-"
       "I do remember a weird dream I had, though."
       Mike's ears perked. "I'm interested. Tell me about it."
       Johnny frowned in hesitation. "You're not gonna like it."
       "It's a dream, though."
       "You're going to hate it," Johnny enunciated, turning away regretfully. He shouldn't have mentioned it. It was too real.
       "Hey, bud," Mike leaned his head on a fist. "I'm not gonna get mad at a dream. You know you can trust me."
       Johnny hesitated ever longer. Eventually, he let out a deep sigh. "Okay. So. The other day. I sort of beat up on Ash's ex, right?"
       The mouse snickered. "You gotta give yourself a little more credit than that. The kid was crying." Noticing Johnny's hurt expression, he apologized briefly. The gorilla resumed. "That wasn't something to smile on. I...really lost myself there. You don't.. Think less of me for it, do you?"
       Mike's head hurt a bit. This wasn't something to discuss at breakfast. "No, Johnny, not at all. To be honest, that kid deserved every bit of what he got. It looked to me almost like he'd been stalking that girl.
       "So..." Johnny stopped and swallowed. "So... You wouldn't be upset if... You wouldn't..hate me.. if I had a really realistic dream about you and I kissing, right?"
       Mike's eyes widened. He had remembered. "Johnny.."
       Johnny's hands were folded, but clenched hard together.
       "Well, the funny thing is, kid.. I'm pretty sure that actually happened." He couldn't tell if Johnny was more or less happy than before with that comment, just that he seemed to draw back with realization and....fear? "Hey, uh, you okay?"
       Johnny stood up. He felt sick. "Oh my god.." he groaned. He walked over to the couch and sat down, putting his head in his hands.
       Mike walked after him. "You okay? Did I say something weird?" he asked Johnny quietly. He was silenced at the sight of tears in Johnny's eyes.
       "No. No, you're okay," Johnny almost whispered." Mike put a hand on the boy's arm.
       "The-there's no need to cry over it, buddy, come on. You're a man, you can handle-"
       "That's just it. I am a man and I can't handle it. What will Mr. Moon say? Your brother's gonna fire me. Your girlfriend's gonna dump you, and my dad is.." His voice began to break. Mike ran his hand up and down the boy's arm. He was normally so quick with words, but he couldn't think of anything to say. "My dad is going to hate me. He's gonna stop talking to me. He's gonna disown me for real this time, Mike, I can't do that again, I can't..." Johnny wiped tears from his cheeks and eyes, but more came. Mike hugged Johnny's arm and the boy gazed at him sorrowfully. "I am so sorry, Mike," Johnny whimpered to the mouse.
       "Hey, don't be. My girlfriend.. Already high-tailed it."
       Johnny sniffed. "What?"
       "She couldn't handle me being in hiding because of the bears, and next thing I know she tells me she's been sleeping with other guys, so I guess that's a no-go, huh? And now here I am with you, and I've never told you that I'm basically rooming with you because she kicked me out over text. Heh, sweet lady..." He was picked up by Johnny and hugged tight. The fur on his wrists was wet from wiping tears.

       "It's my fault."

       "No, it's not. You didn't make her do anything. In fact, her being gone makes our lives easier right?" He laughed. Johnny squeezed him a little tighter. Mike continued. "What's at the forefront is you, right now. I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Please, buddy."
       Johnny dried his tears again. "Mike...I really care about you," he finally said.

       Mike kissed him on the cheek. "I really care about you, too."