Johnny Spends Another Night Alone

After a nice dinner, over which Johnny may or may not have shed a few tears from the intense spice of "adults' curry," much to his chagrin, Dylan sent him on his way. "9:00 tomorrow morning, Johnny. Can you make it?"
       "Of course, sir," Johnny replied solemnly from the doorway.
       "You're cooking for customers and receiving a pay. Don't let me down," Dylan said resolutely, jotting his phone number onto a note card and passing it up to the gorilla. This next statement surprised Johnny, but he kept his cool. "Yes, sir."
"You have a good night."
"Thank you, sir. You as well."
       Johnny stepped out, closed the door slowly behind him, walked into his father's garage and started freaking out. "Customers? A pay? Oh my gosh!" He paced around, thinking of what he could do with his money, before stopping himself. "I can't be imagining what I can do with money I don't have. I have to think in the now."
       Johnny fumbled around in his Uncle Barry's closet until he found his PlayGamester. "I knew he had it," he said to himself. He hooked it up to the CRT television, and just started whatever was in there. It turned out to be Splosey Cars, a game that featured no splosey cars, just moderately fast ones. It was a racing game just like any other one, but it was special to Johnny. Splosey Cars was Johnny's first video game, being given to him by his father a year before he got into the crime business. He remembered playing all the time with his dad, and always being given the legendary role of first player.
       Johnny found that playing single player was not nearly as fun. It, faster than usual, made a dark, cavernous feeling rise in Johnny's heart. "I miss Dad," he whimpered. He found himself saying this a lot at night. The gorilla switched off the tv, stripped down to his boxers and stepped up the metal stairs to his room, where he promptly fell on his pillow and squeezed it tightly. He found himself doing that a lot lately, too.