Chapter 21; They're coming

Chapter 21: They’re coming

Jodi sat on a rock at the campsite facing away from the fire. Part of the reason for her position was so that Hari could more easily examine her, and partly so she didn’t have to meet the two pairs of eyes boring into her back.

When she’d stepped out of the truck there’d been a great cheering, as people congratulated her on being immune to the disease. But two people didn’t cheer, instead they stared at her with all the devotion of puppies. But unlike the devotion of animals, their gazes only served to make her uncomfortable, and so she’d sat on the rock facing away from them as she took of her jacket for Hari.

“what’s wrong with Damien and Nate?” she whispered to the doctor. Hari looked up when she spoke and glanced over her shoulder at the two men briefly. He then smirked slightly and turned back to her pulse.

“nothing’s wrong with them. They’re just relieved you’re alright.”

Jodi scoffed. “so’s everyone else. But no one else is boring holes in my back with the sheer force of their stare.”

Hari chuckled. “well those two are different from everyone else.”

Jodi frowned in confusion. “how so?”

Hari smiled kindly at her. “I don’t think it’s my right to answer your question.” He stood up and dusted himself off. “in any case,” he said, raising his voice slightly so everyone around the campsite could here. “ I pronounce that your fever was due to shock and I’m happy to give you a clean bill of health.” He patted her shoulder and murmured quietly. “ as for everything else, best not let that rest too long. We don’t have a lot of time in this world to sit around with unanswered questions. “

When the doctor moved away, Jodi stood up and turned to look at the two men. Her gaze shifted from one to the other, trying to decide which to talk to first.

Slowly she began to walk forward, around the rock she was sitting on , around the bonfire, until she stood in front of .... Nate.

“hey “ she murmured as she sat beside him.

Nate stared up at her, stunned, for he’d been so sure she’d move to sit beside Damien. And yet here she was, sitting beside him like she would have had this been two years ago. “hi,” he responded.

She stared into the fire for a long time, her face trance-like, a face most people can’t help but make as they stare into a flame. She never removes her gaze as she spoke to him. “Laurie told me what happened after I blacked out. How you saved my life.” She frowned. “that was reckless. You shouldn’t have done that. If you had failed to save me and died what would’ve happened to Jake?”

Nate shook his head and chuckled. “you’re welcome, Jodi.”

She glanced at him in surprise, and then sighed and smiled. His heart almost stopped when he saw that smile, the very first genuine smile she had offered him for two years.

“I’m sorry Nate,” she whispered. “I was wrong to doubt you, but you have to understand that the idea that you still loved me was more ludicrous than that you wanted to kill me.”

“I know Jodi, I’m sorry. “ he reached out and grasped both of her hands in his. “I love you. I realised it as I scoured the desert looking for any sign of you.”

Jodi closed her eyes as a fluttering feeling held in the pit of her stomach. She believed him, now more than ever, but unfortunately in a world as dangerous as the one she lives in now, that might not be enough. Besides...

“you’re a bit too late.” She said.

His hands jerked away from her and his eyes were wide in shock. “you...surely you’re not... with Damien...already?”