8: The Story Behind The Story

Hey guys, girls and readers from all around the world!

 Sorry for not uploading sooner, but no matter how hard I tried this chapter never turned out right. I had to keep writing and rewriting, and the worst part was I wasn't even sure what to look for. So between that and Christmas, My birthday and New Year's I really was too busy. 

But here's the chapter ("finally!" I hear you all say) and it's a long one. Please enjoy.

Vote, comment, anything you like.

TigerLily_x

P.S. vote if you like my new cover

I got the picture of the sniper from deviantart.com. If you're looking to get a cover or redo your cover, try looking there. It's a website where real people put up their drawing, paintings, doodles, Kind of like this website. Try looking. You never know what you might find.

_________________________________________________________________________

Chapter eight; the story before the story

Recap:

“My name is Jordan river Matthews.”

He looked back at her over his shoulder but she didn’t let him speak. She continued in a rush.

“My father began an apocalypse that destroyed the human world when I was six years old. Ten years ago.” She felt tears prickle behind her eyes, but she didn’t dare wipe them because she didn’t want to bring attention to them.

“He’s my father. But I hated him long before any of that.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jodi found a short, flat boulder and sat on it, crossing her legs. Damien sat on the other side of the rock facing her. He brought twigs with him and started a fire beside them both. The fire attracted the lizard and rabbit from earlier and they both crept close enough to feel the heat the fire gave out, but far enough that they could easily run away from the humans that had started the fire. They were no longer fighting, but sitting easily next to each other, as if there had been no fight, as if one of them had not just tried to drive the other away.

Jodi looked back at Damien who was observing her with great intensity. The way he looked at her made her stomach flip, a feeling that surprised her, especially so soon after her recent heartbreak over Nate.

She took a deep breath, and wondered where to start. She decided to narrate the story as though it was not hers. It seemed easier to say that way, for the topic was always a painful one for her.

“Dr Matthew was a scientist, who was the CEO of River Incorporation of Environmental and Technological Sciences.” She picked up sooty twig from the fire and began to idly draw a stick figure with a lab coat in the rock. “He was forever working in his lab with his partner Jonas” She drew another stick figure without a lab coat and a box around it. The pictures didn’t mean anything, but it gave her somewhere to look rather than to see Damien and his reactions. She stared at the forms in front of her, and then threw down the photo Damien had given her earlier. It lay beside the drawing, and the reflection of the fire flickered across its worn, but still glossy surface. As she stared the memories, the events that lead up to her mother’s demise, and then the human population’s, began to flood her mind. She saw it, saw everything as it had happened, and related what she saw to Damien.

< < < <

                August 25th 2040

(Ten years ago)