Chapter Fifteen

Kim

The days following our love making were nothing short of blissful. Partly because there was a lot, a looot more sex. It was as if finally taking that step had opened up an entirely new facet of our relationship, not to mention the man was utterly insatiable! Especially after he got over not being able to wait until our wedding night. I did, however find myself feeling just an itty bit guilty for ruining his plans. I was flattered that he had wanted the first time we became lovers to be on a special occasion so it would be unforgettable and what not, but the truth was; to me what we shared would always be unforgettable. It wasn't just your run of the mill "wambam, thank you ma'am", it was the spirtual, emotional and physical joining of two people who would love each other endlessly. If that wasn't special, I don't know what could be.

It had been almost a week since our meeting with Piero and nothing new had come up as yet. Well unless you count Xanaia, Zandre and their baby daughter showing up two days ago despite Luca warning them to wait until he was sure it would be safe.

I rushed the to front of the house, as the ringing of the doorbell became more insistent. Not even bothering to check, I threw the door open and was greeted by loud, excited chatter.

"Look who's here!" Lia grinned, gesturing towards Naia who I could clearly see standing on my doorstep, which was literally the last place she was supposed to be.

I didn't get a chance to comment as I was immediately engulfed in hugs and more excited chatter.

Apparently Naia was tired of being left out of all the wedding planning. Zandre, of course, blew her cover story and told us the truth that she had missed us. I couldn't fault get reasoning because I had missed her too but that didn't change the fact that I was extremely worried for their safety. For a moment I couldn't understand why Zandre would do something as reckless as bringing them here but I knew my friends and I knew that if he hadn't brought them, Naia would have found a way to get here on her own. Which meant I could do nothing but be thankful that they had made it here safely.

I was, however, beginning to wonder if I really did miss her when Naia, Lia and Mrs G were currently in my kitchen noisily taste testing cake samples. They had only just finished bickering over what pose the figures that were going to go on top of our wedding cake should be in. I knew that my friends and future mother-in-law meant well, but I just couldn't seem to enjoy the planning process as much as I would under different circumstances. I couldn't get far enough past the threat of the Abruzzo family hanging over our heads to enjoy my time with my friends. At the same time I didn't want to ruin their fun with my morbid thoughts so I let them go at it and didn't add anything until they refused to move on without my input. Ironically, that was the only thing they ever agreed on.

After another half hour of back and forth about the type of flowers my flower girl would scatter, I finally worked up the courage to risk their wrath and excuse myself from the the discussion. I needed air, so I wandered outside and into the gardens of my new home. This place had an extremely calming effect on my rattled nerves. Luca constantly told me not to worry, but how was it fair for him to be cooped up in his office day in and day out trying to find ways control the situation that the very existence of our relationship had caused. On especially down days, I'd catch myself wondering if we were just being selfish and if all the backlash was worth us getting what we wanted.

"You know it kills me to see you so unhappy."

I didn't bother turning around because I knew he'd be coming to sit next to me. Once he was settled with his arm securely around my waist, I leaned into him. Luca clearly had a sensor to tell him when I was overwhelm and needed him to come to my rescue. That, or there was a spy amongst the women who ratted me out to him. Either way, I wasn't about to pretend to not want whatever comfort he was offering.

"I'm not unhappy per say, more like worried out of my mind because every person I care about is basically in danger because I was spoiled, selfish and refused to accept that you were promised to someone else."

I felt his body tense beside me, which was expected since he'd never heard me express those particular thoughts. He took an audible breath before pulling me from my seat and into his lap. He grasped my chin and forced me to meet his gazed. I wasn't too pleased to comply since my eyes were glazed with tears, held stubbornly in place by sheer willpower.

"Cara, how long have you been blaming yourself for this?"

I contemplated lying but the tension in his face told me he wouldn't take kindly to any attempts to deceive him, also I was too gloomy to put on a proper poker face.

"Since my friends started arriving and putting themselves in harm's way," I whispered.

He pulled me against his chest and pressed my face into the crook of neck. His scent invaded my senses and snapped the tiny thread of control that had kept me together these past few weeks. The tears started flowing uncontrollably and he held me while my body purged itself. All was quiet except for the sounds of nature around us and his mumbled words of comfort. The man was patient to a fault, he waited until my tears and hiccups ceased before speaking.

"Listen to me carefully Kimberly because I'll only say this once," he begun, "nothing that has happened here is your fault. I won't try to place the blame elsewhere because it wouldn't take ages to name and explain all the generations of poor decisions that have led to our current problem. This my world Kimberly and what I have to contend with daily, my only regret is that this time it's come too close to my home and is affecting the woman I love.

"I told you that once we became intimate I'd never be able to let you go. However, I'm going to take that statement back for a second to give you a choice. Kimberly, I love you but I can't force you to be with me and live a life rooted in the criminal underbelly of the world. I'm going to ask you this only once, and whatever you decide will be what stands, forever. Can you be a part of this life, my life for better or for worst?"

For a moment my mind was reeling, I couldn't believe he thought I needed some escape clause. Why on earth would I have gone through all this trouble only to turn tail when I finally got him to admit he loves me. Not to mention we'd already chosen the napkins for the tables at the reception. No way was he getting rid of me now! And I told him just that.

"You couldn't get away from me even if you tried," I told him, giving him a fierce look that I hoped cleared his mind of all doubt.

"Good, now that we've gotten that cleared up, I have news about the situation," he said as he wiped my tears away.

I swatted his hands away, "well out with it buddy!" I demanded, sitting up attentively in his lap.

Gone was the teary eyed punk of a few minutes ago, she was now replaced by a woman determined to resolve a problem and protect her loved ones.

"Piero has gotten us what needed, we'll be having a meet with the Abruzzos tonight."

My heart raced in my chest as adrenalin kicked in, "are you sure they'll come?"

"They'd be foolish not to."

He seemed confident, with a man like Luca, that was enough to allay all my fears.