Epilogue

One year later....

Kim

"Zidana don't you dare climb up there!" Naia warned her one and a half year-old daughter, as she made a dash across the room to stop the busy toddler from climbing up the bookshelf. Lia and I sat in the couch watching Damiano and Matteo dismantle toys from their spot in the middle of the room.

Luca had business in New York and I tagged along so I could spend time with the girls, not that I usually needed the excuse of convenience to pop in on my best friends.  We'd all set up base at Lia and Damian's because it was easier to keep the twins contained in a familiar environment.

"Ugh, aren't you pregnant yet?" Lia grumbled.

"Nope," I answered smugly, adding a pop to my 'p'.

Lia and Naia asked me that question every single month, not only because they were anxious to become aunties but also because they wanted me to join momma club and suffer with them. However, Luca and I mutually decided that we'd like to enjoy each other for a while before adding any children to the mix.

As if summoned by my very thoughts, my husband stepped into the room and my heart stuttered. His eyes found me immediately, sending a rush of warmth throughout my body. It was hard to believe it had already been a year for us with the way my heart was still inclined to gallop whenever he looked at me. He started walking towards me but was stopped by Damiano who had toddled over to his uncle with his hands raised high, indicating he wanted to be pick up.

"Unca Luu!" Matteo squealed happily.

This cued the other two children to head in his direction and start chanting their own versions of his name. I smiled at the cuteness of it all. Deciding to indulge them, Luca sat on the floor and engaged them in some game that involved building a tower of blocks then knocking it over. My insides stirred at the sight. He would make an amazing father, and it was so easy to imagine given that two of the three children he was playing with bore a striking resemblance to him. This only led to my mind conjuring up images and feelings about what it would be like to carry and give birth to his children. I couldn't stop the longing that swept through me, which totally contradicted our agreement to wait. If he brought that up as a point I would be sure to blame him. I mean how dare he sit there looking so cute while playing with babies and making me want one.

Ugh, I thought to myself as I settled in to watch the torture before me.

That night, in one of Lia and Damian's guest bedrooms, I lay in his arms,  far away in my thoughts trying to work out how to broach the topic.

"Kimberly, what's wrong love?" He asked, sensing that I was preoccupied.

I contemplated going about it delicately then decided on my usual style; blurting things out.

"I'm ready to have your baby!"

I braced myself for him to pull away from me, but it didn't come. Instead he kissed the top of my head.

"Good, because I'm ready to make you the mother of my children."

My body warmed at his words and in anticipation for this next big step in our lives.

"Our minds are so creepily in sync," I commented.

He kissed my brow, "Forever and-"

"Always," I finished, snuggling up to the man I loved best.