5.F Memories Of Before

I run to the main doors, hurling my body down the hall at full speed. I burst through them, the cold air instantly hitting my body. My body shivers as the wind continues to hit my body, licking at my exposed skin that is damp with nervous sweat. 

Okay, you're doing just fine, Max. 

You just need to get to the hospital. 

Hospital, that's... that's a couple of miles away. I'll never make it there on time. 

I pace along the stairs, the flag pole casting a shadow on the ground that I step over. 

I could... call the cops and they could give me a ride. 

No. 

I could call an ambulance and they could give me a ride. 

Also no. 

I pull at my hair in frustration, nearly punching the cement steps from sheer anger. 

Okay, listen, smart guy. You just need to get from point A to point B. 

You with me so far? 

Alright, with that being said, you can do anything to do it. 

I pause as I think that. 

Anything, I can do anything. 

I look at the ground and follow the shadow of the pole with my eyes. I reach the base of the flag pole, eyeing the bikes that are around it. 

Well, there's a chance that they might try you as an adult, but screw it.

I run up to a yellow bike, its body slim and sleek. The bike is attached to the pole with a thin chain. I don't know the combination, nor do I have the back up key for it. 

I look around, making sure no one will see what I'm about to do. 

I forcefully stomp down on the chain; the small lock slightly dents. 

You...have...to...do it! 

I stomp one last time. The chain snaps in half, leaving me alone with the bike that will help me save my friend.

I get on the bike and begin pedaling. The gears rattle until they settle down into a smooth sound of metal. 

Okay, just because you haven't ridden a bike in years doesn't mean you can't ride. 

I crash before I exit the school ground. 

Okay, that's alright. Everyone has their moments. Just get up. 

I begin cruising, then I crash three feet away. 

Okay, you either do it or you don't. Stop crashing, you useless imbecile! 

I start pedaling again, hoping that I won't crash again and look like an idiot in front of myself again. I successfully get the gist of it; my feet rotate in a smooth circle. I pedal down the street, slowly gaining speed as I cruise down the sloping street. 

And now we're picking up speed.

You do know how to brake, don't you? 

Nope, I've completely forgotten about braking until now. 

I should really process what I'm doing before I actually do it, shouldn't I? 

I turn the left corner sharply, surprising the passing drivers. I continue whizzing down the streets, looking at my right to see the passing buildings, each bleeding into the next until they form one blur altogether. 

I'm coming for you, Doyle. Just you wait. I'll bust in there and take you out. You can't be sick, right? 

I continue flowing down the street, weaving in between the cars. The honking people swear at me and stab their horns with their fists. 

Just block it out, just block it out. Keep going. Think of happy thoughts. Just think of—

The day Doyle and I met was the day my mom walked into the doors of the diner, new and fresh. A worker greeted her, and insisted that she would learn the ropes from her. 

"You go sit down in a booth, okay?"

 Mom points at a booth and begins talking to the worker, who goes over sanitation and liability issues. I sit down and look out the window. The town is new and exciting to me. I yearn to be outside, but I try to make due of the situation by looking at my reflection in the silver napkin dispenser. I look at my mom; she's being shown how to wipe the counter in counter-clockwise motions. 

I sigh and dangle my legs above the ground. A man walks in from the back and greets my mother. She takes his hand and shakes it quickly. She was overly excited to get a new job, her last one laid her off due to major cutbacks. The worker insists that she is in control of this and assures that his dismissal is fine. The man shrugs, says good day to them, tips his cap, and looks at me. He smiles as he walks to the booth. 

"Hey, how's it going? Is that lass over there your mother?"

 His graying stubble entices me; I want to rub my palm on it and feel the cactus like prickles. 

"Yes."

 I look down at my hands, "Oh, there's nothing to be scared of. I don't bite, unless you're food!" 

He does quick biting movements with his jaw and bites the air, sounding like an animal feasting on its prey. I give him a courtesy smile, I didn't really want to be there talking to an old guy.

 I look out the window and I see a ladybug climb along the outside of the window. 

I notice the man taking something from his coat pocket. The orange blob moves around in my peripheral vision. I turn and see him peeling an orange while saving huge chunks of the rind. 

I look away, giving him some privacy as he peels his snack.

 I hear some sucking noises, followed by some taps on the table. I look back and see him; the rind is gone. He smiles at me with the sun in his mouth, or so it seems. 

The rind is covering his teeth, exposing itself as a silly grin that makes me smile. That smile became a laugh, and that laugh became tears in my eyes and a pain at my sides. I don't know what made it so funny, maybe it's because it was unexpected. 

Maybe it's because my dad used to do that when I was little.

 I settle down as he ejects the rind from his mouth and cleans his hands with a napkin. 

He extends his hand and I shake it, "I'm Doyle, what's your name?"

 "Max, sir." 

"Sir?" 

Doyle laughs at me, "Max, you don't have to treat me so formerly. Talk to me like a normal person. I'm not your boss." 

"Okay, Doyle." 

He nods, "That's better. How old are you, Max?" 

"Ten." 

"Ten? Why, you're practically a man now!" 

I smile and chuckle, "Yeah, sorta." 

He looks at me; the room goes silent as my mom and the worker enter the kitchen. 

No one is in the diner except for us. 

"You know, Max, I think we're gonna get along just fine." 

He does an open smile and his teeth look at me. 

"You think so?" 

He slowly nods, "I know so, leanbh."

I bike through red lights, curving the corners and breathing hard. 

Each push knocks me down, but for him, I get back up. 

I finally see the hospital; its sight makes my heart pound even harder.

I have to be there for him.

Do it for him.