Chapter [28]

Skylar's POV

I had to wake up early with Bre and Mrs. Lockwood for the Historical Society Volunteer Picnic so we could help. After Mrs. Lockwood's speech Bre and I were helping Mason unload the boxes from his truck, until Stefan showed up. "Hey, Stef." I smiled as he gave me on in return. "The other Salvatore brother?" Mason frowned. "Yes, also the one offering an apology." Stefan informed.

"Not interested." Mason stated. "Look, my brother acts impulsively​." Stefan frowned. "You think?" Mason scoffed. "Mason, please just hear him out." Bre pleaded. "Stefan is one of our best friends."

"If you and Damon keep at each other's throats, someone innocent is gonna get hurt. I don't want that. We both have family here, and I can't imagine you'd want that either." Stefan tried to reason. "So? What do you say? We quit the, uh, alpha-male fighting thing and call it a truce?"

"I made the same exact offer to your brother. He turned it down, and stabbed me with a knife." Mason frowned. "Mason. He made a mistake." I tried. "And that's why I'm here to make sure that neither one of you make another one." Stefan added. "Tell you're brother to watch his back." Mason frowned about to walk away, but Stefan grabbed his arm, stopping him. "Well I'm guessing that he only has to worry about that once a month on, a full moon. Otherwise, you're not as strong. Am I right?" Stefan asked. "Or you would have killed Damon by now."

"If he comes at me--" Mason said, but was cut off. "He won't." Stefan assured and shook hands before going back to work. After a while I ended up helping Stefan with the renevation on the pavilion. It was fine until Elena came up pissed. "Do you still care about Katherine?!"

"Don't do this. Don't turn this into something it's not." Stefan sighed. "So you're saying it's not up for discussion?" Elena frowned. Stefan looked at me as I continued working. "No, I'm just saying it's not up for discussion right now....." Stefan trailed off.

"Okay. When?" Elena asked sharply. "I don't know." Stefan shrugged. "I fucking saw her Stefan! How could you hate her and be in love with me?!" Elena snapped. "I'm not! I'm not like Damon!" Stefan frowned. What did he mean he's not like Damon? "Let's not bring him into this!" Elena frowned. "You know what? I-I can't do this anymore Elena." Stefan sighed. "Fine. Whatever, Stefan." Elena scoffed walking away.

"Okay. What was that?" I asked. "I don't wanna talk about this now. I'll explain later." Stefan said. I nodded in agreement, then frowned seeing Mason and Damon together. "Oh, crap." I sighed as Stefan looked over as well. Once Mason left Stefan and I made our way to Damon.

"Please tell me you two we're just bonding." Stefan frowned. "So, what's up with this faux drama in your relationship?" Damon asked. "Damon, stay out of it." I frowned. "Fine." Damon shrugged turning around. "Would you like some lemonade?" A little girl asked. "Sure." I smiled taking the two cups she offered. "Thank you sweetie." Damon smiled at the little girl.

" Damon smiled at the little girl