Chapter 43

The Next Morning

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah said as we sat in the study talking.

"Elena said the sun and moon curse is fake. That it's actually a curse placed on Klaus." I said.

"Klaus is a vampire made up of a werewolf bloodline. The curse keeps his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll become a true hybrid." Elijah explained.

"Then why are we letting him break it?" Damon frowned walking in. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena stated.

"I'll write her a great eulogy."

"It's not an option, Damon!" I frowned, trying to not let my temper get the best of me.

"Alright, how do we break this curse?" Stefan asked.

"The ritual itself is straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah said.

"The moonstone." Stefan nodded.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both vampire and werewolf will sacrifice one of each." Elijah listed.

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asked.

"The final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger to the point of your death."

"And that's where you come in." I said.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation." Elijah explained.

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked.

"And then you won't." Elijah said.

"That's your master plan?" Damon scoffed. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You wanna come back to life, what about John and Jeremy's rings?"

"It only works on humans, Damon. The doppelganger and mate are supernatural occurances." I frowned.

"She's right. Odds are the rings won't work." Elijah agreed.

"I'd take those chances over your elixir." Damon frowned at Elijah before turning to us. "What if it doesn't work?"

"Then I guess I'll be dead." Elena shrugged as I looked at her sadly.

Damon just got more pissed and walked out.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this?" Elena asked. "Does he have a werewolf?"

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a millennium. If he doesn't have a werewolf, he might by tonight." Elijah guessed.

Later

Stefan went to talk to Damon while Elena and I stayed with Elijah.

"You'd think he'd understand why I'm willing to do this." Elena sighed.

"Why are you?" Elijah asked.

"I'm the key to breaking the curse. Skylar is Klaus' mate. Klaus is here because of us. If we don't stop him, then he's gonna hurt people." Elena stated. "It's that simple."

"You know there is a possibility this elixir won't work. And Sky, there's possibility that you'll break you're curse causing you to die along with Klaus." Elijah warned. "I don't want to mislead you."