08

"You know, it's a smart move." Alex said while rocking on the chair he was seated in. He was in the kitchen, Hank was stirring copious amounts of sugar into his coffee. His eyes peered over his glasses before he fixed them. "This whole getting the girl on her own thing? Really cliché, yes, but tried and true formula." Alex had overheard Hank's general plan to get Lola to help out around the house. Charles naturally thought it was a brilliant idea, more so for the sake of Hank actually spending time out of his room with another living person. Alex however thought it was just an excuse to try and get with a cute girl. And Lola was cute, in a strange little mousey way. She was far from mousey though, she was so loud and energetic.

"I'm not...that isn't it."

"Uh-huh," Alex said with a roll of his eyes. "And you're trying to fool who, exactly?"

Hank frowned and perked up when he heard running footsteps. No one else moved around so eagerly, so it stood to little surprise that Lola came charging into the room; in a flurry of grins, rushed hellos, and made a dive for the fridge. She wasted no time in quickly grabbing bread and seeing to toast, she was either opting to ignore, or was oblivious to the awkward tension between Alex and Hank.

With a cough, Hank frowned and sipped at his drink. He narrowed his eyes at Alex, who just sat grinning at him. It wasn't exactly like he wanted to get Lola alone, or anything like that. It just made a change having someone else around that he could have possible science like topics in common with. Charles did get a little fed up with the in depth conversations at times, Hank could tell. Was it honestly too much to ask for to try and relate to someone else? Wasn't that all that Charles had ever wanted for him and the others, and pretty much seemingly ever other mutant going?

"Hank?" He blinked and looked up and focussed his eyes on the almost lilac eyes which were directly in front of him. He jumped and leaned back in the chair, honestly did she have to be so close to get his attention? "You totally zoned out! Or you were ignoring me, that's rude, Hank." She pouted and plopped down in the chair to his side.

"What were you saying?"

"Have you finished with those plans?" She crossed her legs and nibbled on the crust of the toast.

Hank nodded slowly, Alex sighed and held his hands up. "I'm opting out," he looked between them. Instantly he could tell this was going to be a chat about something he both wouldn't understand or exactly care about. He might as well leave them to it, he stood and patted Hank patronisingly on the shoulder as he passed.

"Are you okay?" Lola asked worriedly, the tense look on Hank's face concerned her.

"Hm? Yeah, yeah I'm okay." He said with a forced smile, Lola sighed and looked downwards at her plate. Hank frowned, she hadn't eaten much of the measly slice of toast. In fact, it now laid forgotten. "It was just something Alex said, Lola."

"He can be annoying?" She asked with a smile.

Hank sighed and rolled his eyes, "Yes, in one word," he wasn't even going to defend Alex here, he could be proper annoying. Despite of their obvious differences, Hank would still see Alex as a friend. They had been through too much not to be seen as something akin to friends.

"And he annoys you?"

Hank smiled, "Between you and me, a little. Come on, Lola," Hank said while deciding to change the subject from Alex. Lola quickly ate the remainders of her toast. He rolled his eyes at her hamster cheeks and stood, she swallowed the breakfast and trotted after him. She paused outside his room and watched as he grabbed an armful of things and then led her towards the basement.