19

It was strange really, to see the sudden turn events; parents, relatives, carers, brothers and sisters alike to suddenly come flocking. Flocking perhaps was the wrong word to use. Steadily come and go was more accurate, perhaps. At least once or twice a day the door would be answered, and on the doorstep would be standing adults of some description asking for someone who resided here.

The war overseas was concerning all. It seemed that despite of what their children and relatives were, they would rather have them back with them where they could keep an eye on them; as opposed to in some massive luxurious home somewhere, doing lord knows what. Each and every person who came to collect a child from the school would look around suspiciously.

It was like they expected something else, something a lot seedier than what it was, a home for those who found themselves without somewhere to call home. Somewhere where they could feel safe, wanted, not treated like outsiders. Unlike evidently their own homes.

The numbers within the school were thinning out day by day, and that was only within the week leading up to Alex leaving to join the army. He had tried to persuade some to stay, but really, what grounds did he have to speak on? He was leaving, to fight for his country. It wasn't like he was here to stay, he was going as soon as the week was out. So of course, no one paid mind to his attempts at persuading.

Everyone was losing out from this, friends were separated, not knowing whether they'd ever cross paths or not again. But the one who truly lost out the most was Charles. He had grown to know each and every person who had come to live here, to call this place home like himself and now...they were leaving. It hit him hard.

Lola had tugged on Hank's sleeve at one point - once they'd all waved off yet another person - Charles wasn't present, finding it increasingly hard to see those close to him leave, again. Hank had looked at her curiously, and Lola, being Lola, had simply asked if Charles had some form of abandonment issues. He had raised an eyebrow at that. But really, he'd already watched those close to him go. His sister, his best friend, the original team was all but split except Hank being here, and Alex just about ready to leave. But once gone, it would only leave Hank. It wouldn't surprise him one bit if Charles did have some sort of issue on this.

Hank hadn't answered her, he turned away and sought to finding Charles, wherever he may be. Most likely in his study, as ever. He always spent time hiding away in there nowadays, not seemingly having the strength to really leave and make an effort. The latter was perhaps not right, he tried. But it was hard to stay positive when any day, they could be gone. It was a bad outlook, but it was one he had seemingly come to feeling and being stuck in.

By the time the end of the week came, and Alex was set to go, Charles had hardly been seen. It was safe to say, he was feeling depressed. Classes, well, what students were left that could attend, were few and far between. Charles had seemingly become quite lax, Hank had attempted to pull him out this slump, only because some people had left, it didn't mean others didn't need help.

By this point, Hank had finished renovating the basement. It was all so sparsely clean, bright and shiny it was a bit ridiculous. Lola had joked about needing sunglasses to walk around down there, because it was simply so bright. He'd frowned at that, yet the motivation to try and further aid anyone nearby who was in trouble, fell a little flat.

The problem with Charles's mood was that it impacted on everyone else. "This doesn't lead back to me, does it?" Alex asked, setting what little belongings he had packed in a bag on the ground in the foyer.

Hank frowned, he stood silent for a few moments before sighing. "I don't think you leaving is helping."

Alex scrunched his nose up and shot him a look. "Thanks, really," Alex shoved his hands in his pockets with an irritated expression.