January 5th, 1987

Ever wonder what Elton's throat surgery was like for him? Well now you know. 
The circa is 1987, as the title states.

Elton sat on the very end of the bench seat at his table by the wall. The little Italian restaurant was dimly lit, and commotion was down to a bare minimum as it was progressing later into the mundane, stale night. Elton tilted the black fedora on his head downward and wore thick, black shades to hide his image from any suspecting fans... and to cover the bags beneath his eyes. He hadn't been getting much sleep lately. Tomorrow would be an imperative, uneasy day for him.
Bernie and John Reid sat with him at the table- John across the table and Bernie beside him. Elton sank into the deep red leather cushions and slumped over the table.
Bernie set down the menu in his hand and placed it on the table, looking slowly over his shoulder at him.
"Elton," Bernie said, "It's tomorrow, isn't it?"
Elton scratched his nose, then looked up at Bernie's eyes, "Yeah." He sighed.
John set his menu down as well and glanced over at the sulking, moody man across the table.
"Hey man, cheer up. It's not like you have cancer. They already dismissed it." He spoke of the doctors.
Elton lifted his head up further and began to speak, but the waitress came along.
Long and lean, she was dressed extravagantly from head-to-toe in black pumps, black nylons and a vibrant red dress. Her deep brown hair was so lusciously dark that it nearly looked black under the dingy, dull lights.
She had her eye on Elton from the start, but kept her mouth shut about it.
"Hello there, gentlemen. My name is Nicole and I'll be your waitress for the night." She paused, then bit her bright rep lip as Elton  made eye contact with her, "Have we chosen any refreshments yet?"
Bernie looked over the menu for a moment before making his decision.
"I'll have some tea, please."
"Alright, and what about you?" She nodded at John.
"Hmmm, I'll take a simple martini, thanks."
"Okay, and how about you, sir?" She smiled at Elton, trying her hardest not to flirt and bat an eyelash.
"Water... please." Elton mumbled, then looked at the table blankly.
Nicole's eyes grew big like a kitten, "Are you sure?"
Elton was steady with his choice, "Yes m'am." He meekly smiled.
Nicole finished writing all the selections on her little note pad, then proceeded to look up at the men at the table.
"Well alright then! Drinks will be here shortly." And with that she trotted off for the kitchen.
John playfully kicked Elton's leg under the table, snapping him out of his table-trance.
"Heeey," He leaned in for a whisper, "You don't say that girl's flirtin' with ya, hmm?"
Elton's eyebrows raised, then a boyish grin took on his face, "Hah, she sure is a cutie." He admitted.
Bernie snickered and nudged Elton's shoulder with laugh, "You have a wife!" He reminded.
"Yeah, I do..." He smiled sheepishly, sinking into his seat once again, "But I wouldn't minnnnd- oh never mind." He turned away and blushed.
"God Elton-" John laughed, nudging his knee into Elton's in a boyish way, "When will you ever grow up? You're turning 40 in two months."
Suddenly, a cool breeze whizzed by and a young girl with beach blonde hair approached the table instantly; her hair in her eyes from running. She bent down and peeked her baby blues suspiciously over the table.
"Oh god-" Elton muttered.
"Hi- hi there. Hi. I- I know you're Elton John. M-my name is Emily. I'm 12, I'm you're biggest fan and I love you and Elton could you like, please give me your autograph? Please, if it wouldn't bother you, I just love you and all and-"
"Sweetheart you're fine." Elton said, grabbing a napkin nearby to write on. He reached for his pocket, but found it was empty.
"But you'll have to get me a pen-"
"Oh right here, Elton, yes right here!" She said, pulling a pen out from between her ear and her thick, black glasses. She was a bit nerdy.
"Oh..." Elton's big eyebrows raised, and he took the pen from the girl's tiny hands and signed the napkin for her graciously. He returned the pen and napkin to her promptly.
"There you go, Emily. Have a nice night." He said, giving her a small smile. She went on after that back to her table with an ocean of tears in her eyes.
Bernie looked at Elton with a chuckle, and suddenly the whole table was silently laughing at the nerdy little girl's response to Elton and his words. After a good laugh, their drinks found their way to the table.
"Alrighty then," Nicole smiled with a tray of drinks in her hand, "Here we have a tea for you, sir." She said to Bernie, giving him his drink.
"And a martini for you." She smiled at John, handing over his glass.
"And for you, sir, your water." She grinned, handing the drink over while looking and Elton in the eyes. Staring for too long, she missed Elton's hand and bumped into Bernie's cup of tea, accidentally spilling a little bit of the water on the table. Pink blush filled her cheeks.
"Oh my goodness, Elton- wait!" She covered her mouth quickly, realizing her unprofessionalism. She wasn't to acknowledge a celebrity by their name; she should've played it off cool.
"Oh, I am so deeply sorry, gentlemen. Let me get this mess cleaned up. I'm so terribly sorry."
And with that, she skipped away to the kitchen in a near-nervous breakdown.
Elton exchanged glances with John and Bernie, unable to comprehend how they should react. There was just so much going on tonight in this little restaurant! These downsides to fame were all something Elton and the boys were used to by now.
Nicole fetched a hand towel and brought it over to the table faster than anyone could thick.
"Again, I am terribly sorry for this inconvenience." She blushed again and wiped the water up in front of Elton with the towel. "Did any get on you too, sir?" Her eyes met Elton's apologetically.
Elton snickered at Bernie and John with a 'watch this' look in his eyes, and began to smile at Nicole understandably.
"Ahhh Nicole, don't get your knickers in a twist; it was just water, honey." He took the towel from her hand gently and wiped a tiny spot on his suit before returning it back to her with a sly wink.
Nicole blushed again, only this time to hide her innermost deepest excitement. She leaned back from Elton and hid a guilty grin.
"Oh sir...!" She grew nervous, then walked away with her pretty red dress between her legs like she'd just peed herself.
"Hahahaha!!!" The boys laughed, finding it amusing how the simple fact that Elton's fame could annihilate any fangirl into pieces.
"Well then, that's strike two for Elton!" Bernie teased, wrapping his arm around Elton's neck and ruffling his hair underneath his hat.
"Say, those clothes don't do a very good job hiding you, do they?" John suggested, noticing that two people now had recognized Elton through his darker, somber disguise. 
"I know.." Elton murmured, "But fuck, I'm not gonna sit here and immerse myself in rainbow peacock feathers and 10-inch heels."
John laughed even harder this time.
Nicole returned again, having calmed herself down and sorted out her dress 'behind the scenes'. She held the notepad in one hand and a pen in the other.
"..." She looked afraid to talk.
"Go on!" Elton encouraged, letting a tiny snort slip out as he covered his chuckling mouth.
Nicole looked more professional this time as she was able to handle her blushing and kept a straight face.
"... Alright." She said flatly, "So what'll it be today?" She said no more, waiting for their responses patiently.
"Hmmm..." John scratched the little beard stubble that was growing on his chin, then looked at Bernie for a mutual agreement. Bernie nodded back.
"Okay," John began, "This won't be much, but me and him would like to share a sun dried tomato and arugula pizza-"
"Hey wait!" Elton blurted in, looking quite left out, "I want some of that too!"
Everybody started at him awkwardly.
"You know, we have some other fine pizzas here as well, such as the Gorgonzola, fig and pancetta pizza-"
"Ah that sounds delicious. I'll take that then." Elton quickly made up his mind.
Nicole finished writing down her notes on the notepad, then looked up at the rest at the table.
"So I have two pizzas for all of you, would that be all? Any appetizers or side dishes?"
Elton looked at the rest of the boys, but they all agreed in unison that there was nothing else to decide on.
"No, Nicole, we won't be needing anything else here tonight. Just two pizzas, that'll be all." He snickered at her, then blushed himself before looking away. He knew he was driving her completely crazy, especially by calling her Nicole. He could call her by her real name, but she couldn't call him by his.
Nicole glared at Elton this time, but couldn't help but to let a small smile slip.
"Oh..." She muttered silently, then walked away abruptly. Elton could not help but to laugh at that one.
"Hah, I wonder what it takes to break her!?"
"Tell her you'd prefer to be called Elton, that'll do it." Bernie tilted his head back to the seat and cracked up.
"I think by teasing her you'll only make her crush grow." John advised.
"That's the point... I'm a mean son of a bitch and she can't have me!" Elton snorted, taking a sip of his water.
Suddenly, there was a break in the conversation, and everything fell silent. Elton began to cough on his drink,  then harder, and harder, until it looked like he was genuinely choking.
"Elton, Elton!?" Bernie gasped and grabbed is friend's shoulders. Elton had his hand in a fist against his neck, trying to relieve pain as he coughed.
"Uaghh..!" Elton moaned, trying to talk back. He coughed again deeper until just about every head in the restaurant turned towards him. So he sank further into his seat until he was hiding behind Bernie.
At last, his coughing subsided, and he took his fist away from his throat. Elton panted for the air, trying to regain consciousness of what just went on.
"What the hell? Are you alright? What happened Elt?" Bernie was still touching his shoulder protectively.
"F-fucking throat." Elton sighed, then sat up a little more to breathe, "It's the polyp, nodule thingy again."
John's eyes were huge as he leaned in over the table  to have a better look at the hurting Elton. 
"I'm so glad you're going in tomorrow. That just looks... horrible-"
"And his cough is nasty, too." Bernie added.
"Hmm, excuse me." Elton suddenly said, sitting up from the table and nudging Bernie to let him pass through the booth, "I'm going to spend a penny and look at my throat."
Bernie got up from the seat to let Elton squeeze through. But before he left, Elton squatted down beside the table and gave a small, sly grin like nothing ever happened.
"Oh, and to fill up this little guy," He smiled, pulling a tiny orange bottle out of his suit pocket. He whispered further, "Doctors wanted me to give them a sample before the surgery to make sure everything's okay."
Bernie began to crack up to himself, because only Elton would think of doing something like that in a public restroom.