[Chapter Five: Ellie]

❝One day? Or day one

You decide.❞

--Unknown

CHAPTER FIVE

Becca took a deep breath, before walking up the steps to stand before the dark wooden door. She'd been standing on the street staring at it for the last fifteen minutes, considering bolting in the opposite direction and doing this another day. Something stopped her though, she knew that if she bolted down the street letting this opportunity pass, she'd never come back again and the thought of 'what could have been' would hunt her for years to come. So with that thought on her mind, she willed her legs to move towards it.

It had been a long time since she'd last stepped foot into Ellie's house. It honestly seemed like a lifetime ago. So much had happened since then, and yet, as her eyes took in the familiar façade of her house, it seemed as if it had been yesterday when she would come and ring the bell, anxiousness flowing through her as she imagined all the things they could try out during their evening together. 

All those dreams had dissolved as soon as she begun freshman year, ready to leave old Becca behind. She'd dropped their friendship without a second glance when she realized Ellie wouldn't help the status she was building up for herself. Camille had a say on it too and as she was so desperate to reach the peak, she actually obeyed. It wasn't a good way to start a relationship, not letting others respect your opinions, but she didn't gave it much thought until years later when it blew off the handle. Now going back in time, she felt so ashamed of it. Ellie had been the only true-blue friend she'd had. They went through thick and thin together, she'd always stood by her side no matter what.

That's why she couldn't do this over text. As much as she dreaded seeing her again, she had to apologise in person. She had to see her, look into her big brown eyes as she said the words that could glue together the pieces of a friendship that was once precious, but taken for granted so many times she'd lost count. 

Gathering her courage, she rang the doorbell, the simple sound of it echoing through the walls bringing a nostalgic feeling to her chest.

For a moment only silence greeted her. Just when she was about to try again, the sound of light footsteps approached the door. The knob twisted to the side, and the door cracked just enough for a small face to peak around.

Becca dropped her gaze to catch the face welcoming her, her hazel eyes meeting forest green ones.

Valerie.

Of course. Becca knew Ellie had a daughter. A beautiful one too, she couldn't help but notice as she gazed down at her. Her skin was dark, and just like her mother's it had a natural glow to it, a mess of curls stuck in all directions atop her head, and she stood in cute pink pajamas, clutching a teddy to her side and eying her with curiosity.