[Chapter Ten (Part1): Brian]

❝Kind words cost nothing❞

--Unknown

CHAPTER TEN

By the time lunch break came round, Zena and Gahia, her colleagues, arrived at Becca's desk ready to go have lunch at 'Jetro's', a nice retro place a few blocks away. It had been their Wednesday routine ever since she started working at the company eight months ago and they never missed it. They'd welcomed her into their circles and made sure she always felt comfortable at work. They'd always come to her aid when she struggled with lengthy amounts of work, and had proved themselves to be a pair of true-blue friends.

On a rush, Becca typed a few lines on the open document before saving the work, and closing the laptop.

"Hey girls, just go ahead. I have to clean up this mess first, I'll catch up with you." She said, as she looked down at her desk with a sigh and began throwing a stash of discarded papers in the bin.

"Ok, Bex. We'll be waiting for you. Same table." Zana said as they started walking down the corridor.

"Kay."

They'd been around her long enough to know about her cleansing tendencies. She couldn't stand disorder. Hated it.

Yeah, She wasn't the most neat person out there, think about it, her desk was a mess. It always was while she worked. If one day someone dropped into the office and Becca's desk was in apple-pie order, then they'd realize she hadn't been working right away.

Balls of paper covered the floor, her coloured markers were scattered everywhere, Post-it notes covered every surface, reminding her the things she had to accomplish by the end of the day, a few manila envelopes and folders were piled up on the corner.

The thing was, she barely noticed those things while her face was stuffed into work, but when she looked up from her laptop and her gaze scanned the area, she'd begin to feel light-headed. Like the world had shifted and suddenly walking horizontally was the trend.

She had an obsession with it. She needed everything to be in its place. So she always ended up cleaning the mess and returning everything to its original place, double checking every single thing was where it should be. And her world would automatically right itself again.

After she'd checked, double checked and triple checked all the stuff lying around, she grabbed the laptop and made her way out.

Ten minutes later, she was walking through the doors of 'Jetro's', laptop in hand as she made her way towards their usual table.