An unexpected visitor

(A/N : Hello, readers, here is your long awaited update! I want to sincerely apologize for taking so long, I got a little occupied with school and had barely anytime to update. I'm very glad that this story gained so much popularity, and would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read it. Thanks for your support, remember to vote, comment, and fav!)

I walked next to Cinnadale in silence, my hands clasped at my sides. It had been at least two hours since we lift our temporary shelter, and we both were struggling to keep up with Fruax as she lead us through the vast woods.

Cinnadale had never been much of a talker. After all, he was a guard. They were supposed to be like statues, stiff, and formal, and prepared for an attack at any given moment.

For a while, Cinnadale did abide by these rules.

At first, he was stubborn.

Standing firmly at my side, and paying no mind to my prying. He was on the job, and he couldn't break character. Not if he wanted to keep this job, that is.

It seemed that he had forgotten the years of our childhood when he finally became an official guard. He wouldn't speak to me unless it was to take orders, small talk and horse play in the woods didn't exist anymore. We were younger then, and his transition from my very best friend to solider confused me.

It hurt to see him standing there outside by bedroom door, blank and distant.

I could tell that he was still there. He had the same white blonde hair that matched the moons rays so well, the same deep blue eyes, the same sharp jawline --minus the stubble that would arrive in the years to come.

It seemed that the only thing that had changed about him was the fact that he had decided to no longer be my friend. Almost as if he had forgotten that we were nothing more than princess and guard.

I tried making him remember.

I told him to take me into the woods so we could stand near the pond like we used to, staring down at our reflections in the crystal clear water and watching the lily pads bob delicately on the surface.

The silence was almost the most painful part, but our reflections hurt even more.

We stood there, unmoving. His hands pressed behind his back, his jaw clenched, not so much as a twinkle in his eyes. Me with my hair pinned up high, my hands stiffly at my sides, decorated in the countless jewls and diamonds that Mildred insisted on draping me in every day. My (E/C) eyes looked dark and distant, almost foreign.

It was like we were staring down at completely different people.

I chocked back any tears that tried to force their way through, and glanced over at my freind.

He may have not remembered, but I did.

I remembered the little girl and boy that used to run into those very woods as fast as their feet could carry them just to toss stones inside of their favorite pond, holding hands and leaning over the water's edge in hopes of getting a peek at the koi fish that used to hide under the rocks.

The little boy carried a plastic sword, the little girl wore a miniature tiara, and they both laughed together as equals.

Nothing in the world mattered then.

Not rank, not status, not protection. They were only children, children that wanted nothing more to be in the others presence.

How that could all drift away so suddenly, I didn't know.