C h a p t e r 1 : New Year, New Me?

C h a p t e r  1 : New Year, New Me?

"You know you can't always run forever, please Marianna!"

"This is our only chance, Teo! I need to protect her at all costs. I cannot and will not take the risk of losing her, after what they did to The Vanders, do you think they let us slip? I know you're smarter than that."

"But they need you, she needs you."

"They need you more, especially her trust me. Everyone is safe here, there is nothing to be worried about, I'll keep an eye on them."

"How can you keep an eye on them if you are not going to be here Marianna? I'm begging you, please don't go."

"I have to, please understand. It's all for the best."

"The only thing that's for the best is to stay together, we Chambers live by that motto."

"But that's the only thing that will ruin us. Goodbye for now Mateo, once everything is solved, for I will return."

It's like a broken record.

Every single word was absorbed in my head, not leaving a piece of it. The day that I was awoken by the loud voices coming from the hallway sparked my curiosity, but I could not comprehend the situation at that moment. Saying to myself, what is it? What is happening?

However, as time flew, knowing from her absence, I started to recall the conversation, understanding bit by bit, and then the realisation hit me so hard on what she had meant. She was leaving and never coming back.

Only one thing that I still cannot figure out. Why?

A part of me was convinced by the hope, hope that she would return and spill the truth, but another part of me believed it is what it is. It has been more than ten years, and not a single piece of news has been flashed about her whereabouts.

A sudden knock startled me, prying me away from my thoughts.

"Faye! Are you up? You're going to be late for your first day kiddo." Dad said, knocking on the door several times. "I'll be waiting for you downstairs."

That reminds me of how physically and mentally lazy I am for this new year.

I got admission to a private college, all thanks to my amazing father who has been working hard to get me to one of the best colleges in the world. Since it is a calm and secluded place that offers a dorm room for students, I have made my decision to register to stay there, considering the place is about two hours drive from my home. Also, they allowed students to go back home only during weekends, curfews an optional thing and I heard the best part was the food, we shall find out about that.

It is the start of a new year, I should turn over a new leaf and do something productive.

Meh, I will not.

It will distract me from thinking too much.

Sigh.

I noticed my surroundings, my heart felt heavy and sad. I am going to miss my room, it was painted white and blue, and the ceiling was dark grey. I remember the first day I moved in, I was young, and everything was okay because I had my siblings and my father.

But now, I am growing up, and that sucks.

Feeling the comfortable silence while lying down on my bed makes it harder for me to get up and leave. I do not know if I made the right decision but if you never try, you never know, right?

I sit up and take a long deep breath before finally getting up from my bed.

As I walked towards the door, I turned around to take one last glance around my room. This is the place where I was brought up, a place that stores memories here.