Chapter One: A Crew for Captain Oros /Part One

It was a crisp, clear morning bright and busy with early risers preparing for a long day. Fendwall took a deep breath, wrinkling his nose. The morning air stank of fish already, stronger than usual. He smiled. He had lived most his entire life either by the sea or on it and the scent of fish and seawater made him feel right at home.

He pulled his fur hood up against the chill morning, not that he needed it, and stepped off the White Raider. The docks were crowded with an array of pirates, smugglers, traders, and the odd soldier or two to keep the peace among the more unsavory of folk in Umbar.

Furtive eyes met his own icy blue ones and quickly looked away. The tall Lossoth had a fearsome reputation up and down the coast as a hard man and a harder adversary. He was instantly recognizable, if not for his fur hood, then for the dark blue tattoos streaking his skin.

"Ey, Wolf! Git yer northern behind over 'ere," a gruff voice shouted. Fendwall grinned and shoved the people blocking his way aside. They soon parted before him as he made his way toward the voice that called him.

"Aye, Captain?" he asked stopping beside a grizzled dwarf with a nasty snarl on his face and gripping the arm of a tiny woman no taller than he.

"This 'ere lass tried to steal mah coin!" the captain shouted. The woman, attempting a face of bravery, faced the captain and tried wrenching her arm free. She avoided Fendwall's gaze, clearly frightened by the big man with strange blue and white skin and eyes that could freeze ale.

"What's yer name, lassie?" Fendwall asked as he crossed his arms meaning to reassure the woman, but his voice, powerful and curt after years of bellowing orders over tempests, only served to frighten her more.

"Es," she squeaked, shrinking back for a moment then attempting to stand taller than she was.

"Well, little Es," Fendwall squatted down until his face was level with hers. It was further down than he'd thought. "I reckon yer from the Blue Mountains, but yer too timid fer a dwarf and yer missin' the beard."

Es put her free hand on her hip and drew her little head up with as much dignity as she could muster. She lifted her chin and frowned at the Lossoth.

"Dwarf?" she cried, "Who are you to call me a Dwarf?"

The captain snorted. Es stamped her foot with indignation.

"I am a Hobbit!" she insisted. "Shire born and bred."

"Aye," Fendwall's mouth twisted in a humorous grin as he stood up, "and I'm a dragon."

Es looked confused for a moment before realizing he was joking. "Ha. Ha. Funny." Es tried to loosen the captain's grip on her arm. "I really am a Hobbit."

"Suit yerself. It doesn't matter to me what you think you are. All I care about is wha' you did to my captain, lass."

The captain grinned, pleased with how his first mate was handling the situation. He could have taken care of the lass, but he rather enjoyed watching Fendwall intimidate people. Es hung her head, shoulders slumping, in defeat. Fendwall nodded.

"Now, I'll give you three options. First, you can go and make The Indomitable Captain Oros here twice the amount he has in his pouch. I guarantee that will take a very long time in this broken cesspool of thieves and assassins, most of whom will make a light snack of you. Your second option will be to join his crew and repay your debt by working for him. Your final option," Fendwall fingered a sharp, curved dagger and grinned wolfishly, "is less than desirable."

Es squeaked. She gulped hard, watching his hand with bright, terrified eyes.

"M-may I have some time to consider the options?" she asked hopefully.