Chapter Five: A Matter of Honor

"Caston! Qrow!" Fendwall shouted as he stormed toward them. He tripped over something soft. Drida screeched like a banshee and sprinted away. Fendwall peeled himself off the deck, cursing the Hobbits.

Caston and Qrow stopped what they were doing and sheepishly toed the deck with their hands behind their back. Livian stomped over with a scowl. She grabbed Qrow by the ear and pulled his head down to her level.

"You're making my job much harder than it ought to be. I didn't save you from those raiders for you to act like a half-witted worm. You stop..." she glanced around at the mess Qrow and Caston had made, "whatever you're doing. And learn some self-control." She yanked on his ear, hard. Qrow howled and staggered away. Caston watched everything with a pale face. Livian stepped menacingly toward him and he flinched. Qrow rubbed his ear mournfully. Fendwall turned his hard gaze on the pair. They cringed.

"Clean up this mess properly then head down to the cells. I want them spotless by nightfall."

Caston groaned his displeasure. Fendwall smacked the boy's head.

"Dahari!" Fendwall shouted.

"What?" Dahari appeared above them.

"Take these two down to clean out the cells," Fendwall told him.

"Aye, sir," Dahari said with a cold smile. Caston and Qrow bit back exclamations of anger. The Elf was meticulous as he was cruel while carrying out punishments for the first mate. He'd become Fendwall's favorite vassal for monitoring them and keeping the two in line. Morien was another favorite, but they were more likely to be beaten senseless by the brutish man. Dahari was safer, but far more frightening and... creative. Caston and Qrow wouldn't be seen for the rest of the day.

Fendwall sighed when they disappeared below deck. Four days they had been sailing, and three of those the wind had been nonexistent. They were stuck, drifting listlessly on the ocean currents. The sails hung limply from the masts.

Shouting came from the bow.

"Now what?" Fendwall grumbled. Oros beat him over, finding Estella and Calen, knives in hand, hacking wildly at each other. Oros didn't dare come between them, for fear of getting sliced. He liked his head where it sat. Instead he let them take out their anger on each other. He glanced back at Fendwall, noting that his first mate was ready to step in as soon as they broke apart.

They didn't have to wait long. Calen tripped and fell. Estella shouted and tried to attack her, but Fendwall already had his hands around her and was dragging her away with her arms clamped firmly to her sides. Calen rolled over and Oros grabbed her arms to keep her from getting up and going after Estella.

"Let me go!" Estella screamed at Fendwall.

"Not a chance," Fendwall grunted. Estella quit struggling.

"Please?" There was still murder in her eyes.

"Not until you calm down."

Estella huffed and tried once more to break Fendwall's grip to no avail. Calen was still on the ground nursing her bleeding arm. Estella felt a twinge of guilt, but mostly satisfaction. The idiotic Númenorean who believed everything she heard wouldn't dare confront her again. Not about that at least. Morien walked past and glared at Estella, a glance that Fendwall, sharp as his eyes were, missed.

"Quarter rations for you both today and tomorrow," Oros said. Estella's heart sank. She would be extremely hungry before the day was out. Calen scowled at her. Estella ignored her. Fendwall let Estella go and she stalked away. She passed Norin, who contentedly scribbling on a piece of paper. The red-haired girl, for she looked no older than sixteen, looked up from her doodlings, eyes glinting.