Chapter Seven: Fickle Lady Luck /Part Two

Talf had been below deck with Estella when the fighting began with a thump. They exchanged worried glances and, without hesitation, nearly flew up the stairs to the deck where they saw the fight had already ended and Morien standing over Captain Oros and Fendwall. Talf immediately dropped his sword and held his hands up in surrender. Estella was not so quick to give in, but a quick look around and a snarl from Livian, she too dropped her knives.

     Es came up behind them. She squeaked with fright and tried to run, but Drida caught her by the arm and dragged her next to Oros. Screeching with rage, Es clawed at her fellow Halfling's arms until they bled. Drida tossed Es like a ragdoll at the deck and stalked off. A dumbstruck Estella and Talf were prodded toward the group and forced to kneel. Estella found herself next to Fendwall, who seemed to be fading in and out of awareness. A bloody gash ruined his left calf muscles.

     Morien stood in the center, tapping his fingers against his thigh and looking from one person to the next. He grinned and kicked Oros over. Their captain let himself be pushed over.

     "My first order as captain of the White Raider is to offer a few of you a chance at joining my crew."

     "Why are you doing this?" Estella demanded. Morien shrugged.

     "It seems to be the best option considering our circumstances. A few die, so that the rest may live."

     "You're a monster," Es whispered. Morien scowled at her and she flinched, edging her way toward Dahari, who was quietly trying fish a flaying knife from his boot without Livian noticing.

     "I'm not the monster, the sea is. She takes and she takes, never giving back, so I'm taking what I can from her and getting out. You all would be wise to do the same. Of course, some of you I can't allow to stay," he said with a glance at Fendwall and Oros. "And with our resources so little, a smaller crew has a greater chance of survival. So, who would like to join my crew?"

     After a moment's hesitation, Calen stepped forward, followed by Livian. Morien smiled broadly and bowed.

     "Anyone else?" he asked. Drida stepped up. Es' little mouth fell open in shock, but then she realized she should have seen it coming when Drida dragged her over here. Shortly behind the Hobbit, Qrow left Caston's side, shooting a guilty apology at his new friend. Caston scowled and turned away. What did Morien have that Qrow could possibly want other than his two companions he had arrived with?

     Reluctantly, Norin stepped up, but before Morien could welcome her, she cut him off.

     "I am only staying because I was promised passage back home by the captain, I will hold you that same promise or I swear on my mother's life, I will hunt you down and kill you."

     Morien nodded mutely, too stunned to say anything.

     "I will stay, but only because Norin is," Lendethiel said stalking up to Morien. "But know this, you lay a hand on me or her and I will make you regret it." Morien made a mental note to watch the two women carefully. Talf still knelt on the deck, torn between his loyalty to his captain, and his friendship with Lendethiel and Norin. Everything had happened so fast. He was still trying to wrap his mind around it all when Lendethiel beckoned to him.

     "Come, Talf, we have waited too long to throw our lives away. Let us go home."

     Home.

     What was home? Certainly not where he grew up. The White Raider? He listened to the creak of her sheets, the gentle flapping sails, and the sea lapping at her hull. She was peaceful, but sad, her true captain lay upon her deck, broken and torn from his place. Talf realized his eyes had filled with tears. He blinked quickly.