Chapter One: A Crew for Captain Oros /Part Two

"Fendwall!" Oros roared, storming through the sleeping quarters. Fendwall poked his head out of his room moments later, bleary-eyed and half dressed. The sun was not yet up and the deck was covered in a fine layer of delicate frost. The last dregs of winter still clung tightly to the port city.

"Cap'n?" Fendwall yawned hugely. The cold air served to stir his sleep-muddled mind. Oros stormed up to his first mate, face red with fury.

"Where's the cheeky, half-sized lass we stuck brig yester'morn?" he demanded. Fendwall shook his head to clear it.

"Should still be in there. I have the keys."

"Then you bloody well tell me why she ain't in there no more!" Oros shouted, eyes bugging. His booming voice shook the last tendrils of sleep from Fendwall's mind. They sprinted fore'ard toward the main hatch. The main hatch was far too heavy for one man to lift so there was no way she had gotten out that way. The only other way out was through the sleeping quarters. Even then she wouldn't have been able to get out, the doors were all locked.

The hatch slammed shut behind them as they tumbled down the short steps, plunging them into near total darkness. Neither one carried a lantern to the gun deck. They didn't need one. They knew the ship better than the back of their own hands. Fendwall and Oros dodged around crates and support beams until something that wasn't supposed to be there tripped Fendwall and sent him sprawling.

"Found her," Fendwall groaned, nursing a bruised arm. Oros skidded to a halt. Es squeaked in fright and tried to run. She ran three steps and slammed straight into a stack of empty crates. They toppled over onto Fendwall and Oros. Es lay on the floor, stunned.

Oros, fuming silently, grabbed her arm and dragged her back toward the hatch. Fendwall followed them. Together they pushed the main hatch open while Es sat sulking at thei feet. Oros dragged her on deck. She resisted feebly, still reeling from the impact of Fendwall's legs and the crates. Oros dropped her like a sack next to the mast.

"I've half a mind to throw ya overboard, ya little urchin!" he shouted.

"Please don't," Es begged weakly, "I can't swim."

"Bloody well fine with me! Ya can drown fer all I care. I ain't dealin' with yer mischief and games. Ya got two options, either I throw ya overboard an' ya drown, cause ain't no one gonna save ya,or ya quit tryin' to escape and be good like 'til I let ya go. I ain't full o' mercy like this brute here," Oros jabbed a thumb at Fendwall. "We clear?" Oros crossed his arms and waited for an answer.

"H-how long will you keep me?" Es asked meekly.

"'Til I say so," Oros replied curtly. "'Til then ya work fer me and ya listen to what I and Fendwall say. Un'er stand?"

"Yes," Es said. A tear fell from her large eyes. She quivered slightly.

"Fetch me the roster, Fendwall."

Fendwall walked to his chambers and returned with the scroll. Oros unscrolled it and handed it to Es.

"Sign here," he said pointing to a blank line. Es sniffed loudly and signed it angrily. She finished and glared up at the captain and his first mate.

"There. I signed it. Now what? she spat. Fendwall and Oros smiled twin grins. Fendwall gave her a mocking bow.

"Welcome to the Corairs of Oros," Fendwall locked at the roster, "Esmerelda," he finished enthusiastically.

What had she gotten herself into? Es wondered despairingly as Fendwall, a decidely scary man with a voice to match, led her away. He showed her to a small cramped room with an even smaller bed shoved against the wall. The inside was stuffy and smelled of unwashed bodies.