The Letter // The Audacity?!

Chapter Three

"What's got you so peppy?" Madison asked me.

It was the Monday after the first day of school (it started on a Friday, God knows why)  and we'd already made up. Her fashion faux pas was a thing of the past. We sat at our table with Frenchie and Maria, our lunches sitting untouched in front of us. I eyed Harry who sat at the jock table like he'd been a part of their group the whole time. A few days into school and he already had joined the hottest most popular group of guys. I didn't like him, but I had to admire how quickly he had integrated into the school and risen up to the top of the popularity chain. I still resented him, but I wasn't mad at Maria anymore. I just accepted the fact that she could be really stupid sometimes.

I had a permanent smile plastered on my face from the prior night. I recalled the memory from the weekend:

**********

"Sweetie, you just need to calm down." My mum rubbed my back.

"Stop touching me!" I swatted her hand away. "Don't you realize my first day back totally sucked?! Maria basically said I dressed like a whore! Do you know what that feels like?! My best friend, totally didn't even care! Ugh!"

I had felt like a volcano ready to explode all day. Ever since lunch I hadn't talked to Maria, Frenchie, Sharon or Tiffany. I had to sit with the jocks all by myself. And then went throughout the day strategically avoiding everyone.

"Honey, your outfit is fine. You dress how you want to dress."

I had to admit it; I had like the coolest mother ever. Mostly because she didn't give a shit about what I did. She can be kind of a ditz, but that's one of her best qualities. I could get away with completely anything. But then, on the other hand, was my dad, who was the complete antithesis of my mum. I guess he sort of balanced it out, because he was the most protective parent I knew. He was like an eagle protecting its young.

"I'll be in my room." I said without emotion and then climbed up the stairs.

I locked the door and collapsed onto my bed. I started connecting dots in the speckled ceiling.

Finally, some peace and quiet. Sometimes I just couldn't stand life. I was so excited about returning to all of my friends and good memories, but it just sucked. There's no other way to put it.

The prospect of my pre-calc homework didn't seem that enticing, so I decided to let it stay in my backpack like a good little assignment. What kind of psycho even assigned homework on the first day? I had a feeling this was going to be a long year.

I let out an exasperated sigh and kept staring at the ceiling.

After I'd cooled down a bit I took out my phone and scrolled through the messages. They were mostly a bunch of apologies from Maria about today and a few from my modeling agency. I didn't even bother responding to any of them. As I set my phone in my dresser, my eyes were drawn to a curious envelope. It was particularly weird because I didn't get much mail. I would get magazines and catalogs every so often, but nothing like this. My name was printed in the corner of the pink envelope and there was a postage stamp with the face of an elegant young woman outlined in black. I tore it open and revealed a fancy, thick, cream-colored piece of paper. I read the fine type.

~~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations Alexandria Schultz!

We have reviewed your application and are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted for the new job opening for the Versace Spring Fragrance Collection...

~~~~~~~~~~

I stopped after the first sentence. My jaw hit the floor.

No way. No way. No way. I couldn't believe it. I read the entire letter through. Then I read it through again. And after that, I read it again. I read it until the words burned into my vision. This could not be real.