Just think Project X, but in real life

Chapter Ten

Finally. The big day had arrived. The day of my party. After a torturous week of detentions with Harry, a hardcore, epic birthday party of the century was the least I deserved.

I'd only drank water and smoothies for the past week in order to look my best. I had to stick to a strict diet because I had gotten this to-die-for custom fitted dress made specially for the occasion. It was hot pink and strapless. I had to be extra careful as I walked in it because the slightest move would give everyone quite the view of my rear end. I was going to be the hottest girl, excuse me, woman, there. I had to impress. This was going to be the best party of everyone's lives. And I'd be the one they had to thank.

I took a deep breath, which was actually a bit difficult in my skintight dress. I examined myself in the mirror. Simply perfect. My hair was done up in a simple twist at the back of my head and had lots of volume on top. A few strands of hair dangled down so it didn't look too perfect.

"OMG! You look GORGE!" Maria squealed, also looking pretty gorgeous in her strappy purple sequined dress.

"I know." I replied, still taking in my attractiveness. I did look beyond beautiful. But besides that all I could think about was getting to see my beloved Dylan. Stupid camping. Why would anyone voluntarily surrender themselves to the horrors of nature? I cringed just thinking about it. I hated bugs, all of those potentially poisonous plants, and especially all the dirt. Dirt was just so... Dirty.

I was much more comfortable with the comforts of being indoors. Like you can't wear stilettos or look cute while you're trekking though the woods. So what's the point?

Maria and I went downstairs and sat on the couch waiting for the first guests to arrive. All of the maids had already set up rose gold and champagne pink-themed decorations and fetched the alcohol from the basement. Like my parents thought I wouldn't find it hidden down there. I was just smart like that.

"This is so totally wicked! We are so going to meet a bunch of cute guys, oh my God I just like, can't even describe how pumped I am!" Maria bounced up and down on the couch. She drank way too much Starbucks coffee in the first place, but she was just naturally hyper which didn't exactly help.

"Be chill." I advised her, "you don't want to look like an idiot. This needs to be the best party ever, so don't screw it up by acting like a dork."

I couldn't risk Maria being a dweeb when people knew we were friends.

"Just remember that best friends would never jeopardize each other's image." Wow that was totes deep. I made a mental note to write it down.

Maria nodded. "Okay then..." She examined her nails, which I'd help her paint shimmery purple to match her dress.

Then she perked up. " Hey, do you think Niall's going to come tonight?"

Her question took me by surprise. "Niall? As in Niall Horan?" I made a face. He was cute and all, but I didn't expect Maria to like him. She was totally into bad boys. He was just, I don't know, too good for her. Not like she didn't deserve him, but he just wasn't bad enough. He barely even drank and probably hadn't even taken a hit off of a joint yet.

"Yeah," Maria twirled a black silky curl about her index finger, which she only did when she was nervous, "Isn't he the only Niall we know?" She wasn't making eye contact.

"You totally have a thing for him! OMG! Maria! Ooooooo!" I teased her. Red crept up her cheeks, which was not a good look for her under all that mauve blush.

"I was just wondering, okay Alex?" She let her curl fall and put her hands in her lap.

"Well, he'd be crazy to miss the best party ever." I put my hand on her shoulder. "I bet he'll come." I lied. This was totally not his scene and there was no way I could see him coming unless he was going to be the popular guys designated driver.

She sighed deeply and gazed out the window. Wow, Maria lovestruck over Niall Horan. Weird. And Maria not being über hyper... Double weird.

But things didn't stay weird for long because Maria literally jumped off the couch. Like actually jumped, which I didn't know was possible in high heels. I stared at her wide eyed and she pointed out the window excitedly, bouncing up and down once again. Her dark chocolatey curls bounced up and down crazily with her.

I followed her finger. Outside a van pulled up and people were unloading out of it like it was a buggy full of clowns at the circus.

Let the party begin.